This position may be available for remote work within Arizona (2-3 days per week in the office)
A writing exercise will be administered at the time fo the interview
This position will be responsible for validating and recording all revenues, distributions, banking, and general ledger accounting functions. Working under minimal supervision, this position will gather, compile, review, analyze, and reconcile general ledger balances, bank statements, and customer accounts providing written reports summarizing data monthly and upon request. Develop and maintain spreadsheets and databases used for reconciliations, distributions, reporting, and year end activities. This position will research and resolved discrepancies by developing corrective actions including adjusting and revising journal entries for agency accounts. This position will maintain accounts payable/receivable schedules to ensure all tasks are completed prior to deadlines. Communicates orally and through written correspondence and fiscal reports with various ADOT staff, State Treasurer's Office, state/county/city officials, and other external customers. This position will adhere to State statutes, rules, and department policies and will be responsible for writing and maintaining desk procedures. This position will be cross trained in other accounting processes and will provide back up as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Maintain accounting systems so that monies collected, disbursed, and reported can be accurately classified and subsequently distributed in accordance with State statutes. Perform analytical research of accounting issues using own initiative and techniques to discover their nature and cause and develop corrective action, including adjusting and correcting journal entries
• Reconcile general ledger balance sheet accounts, bank statements, and customer accounts; research discrepancies and prepare adjusting and correcting entries. Verify that subsidiary ledgers (spreadsheets, databases, web applications) are balanced to control figures
• Prepare various monthly and annual reports and provide statistical information and reports as requested by the manager. Develop and maintain spreadsheets and databases. Maintain records and files to substantiate all transactions. Write/update desk procedures. Other activities as assigned
• Ensure accounting tasks are completed prior to deadlines and accounting records comply with State statutes, rules, and government accounting standards. Cross train and provides back up for team lead as required
• Accounting principles and practices
• Sound fiscal management principles and practices
• State Service Automated accounting systems Mainframe and PC accounting systems Advanced spreadsheet functions and databases
• Effective, professional oral and written communication
• Analyzing and interpreting complex financial data and processes
• Utilizing computer software and other automated tools
• Reconciliations Research and problem solving skills
• Organize and prioritizing work activities Interacting effectively
• Interpret and apply rules and regulations
• Communicate in a clear and professional manner verbally and in writing
• Understand and use accounting software
• Problems solve and recommend corrective action
• Interpret financial data
Bachelor's degree in accounting; one (1) year experience as an Accountant 1 or equivalent. This position may be called upon to drive a state owned or private vehicle to conduct State business.
This position requires possession of a valid Arizona Class D Driver License. Candidates for this position must complete and sign PART 1 of the State of Arizona Application for Employment at the time of interview, which will allow ADOT to obtain the candidate's motor vehicle record (MVR). If considered, PART 2 of the State of Arizona Application for Employment allows a record review and reference check. The most recent 39-month period shown on the MVR will be reviewed in accordance with A.A.C. R2-10-207.11 (H) and (I). The review must show an acceptable driving record prior to any offer of employment being made by ADOT. Employment is contingent upon an acceptable MVR and record review/ reference check.
The Arizona Department of Administration offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
• Sick leave
• Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
• Health and dental insurance
• Retirement plan
• Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
• Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Mandatory participation in the Arizona Retirement System (ASRS) is required.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 712-7279. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. ADOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.