The Payroll Manager position is responsible for ensuring that all Department staff are correctly compensated following all State and Federal statutes, rules, appropriations, grants, contracts, regulations, policies and administrative code related to employment. Ensures all payroll reimbursements of expenditures are made for valid public purpose and that the payments are processed following all applicable rules related to employee travel and/or other allowable reimbursements.
• Processes and ensure bi-weekly payroll compute and employee reimbursements is completed accurately and timely, including corrections and adjustments to HRIS employee files.
• Generate, verify and review payroll reports and reconcile ETE to HRIS and HRIS to AFIS.
• Maintain accurate proxy access and post labor distributions.
• File and archive all corrections, adjustments and reconciling documentation according to State retention guidelines, State policy, statute and Federal regulations.
• Gather and compile complex data, verify and analyze, reconcile and correct transactions, process inter-agency and intra-agency transactions, ensure costs are properly allocated to all funds, and coordinate adjustments with agency fiscal services.
• Identifies waste, inefficiencies and proposes and develops revised processes that increase work product efficiencies, quality and output.
• Develop visual management tools for Human Resources Department and ensure being used properly to resolve problems and questions presented by leadership.
• Utilize multiple automated accounting systems as well as databases and spreadsheets to review and analyze transactions, retrieve data to document adjustments or compile reports for Agency Management, Fiscal Services, and employee use. ETE, HRIS, AFIS, Access DB, Excel.
• Communicates with agency leadership, supervisors, managers that Payroll maintains open communication and acquire information needed for immediate determinants or decisions.
• Attends and actively participates in manager meetings and builds relationships with Park Managers and Section Chiefs.
• Conduct training classes and presentation on payroll regulations and procedures.
• Provide technical guidance, administrative expertise and customer service to all internal and external customers in the area of Federal, State and agency payroll laws and procedures, travel and miscellaneous reimbursement regulations, and fiscal management issues.
• Works independently and takes initiative to work on tasks and projects with little to no direction.
• Maintain knowledge of current accounting, HR and payroll theory, practices, regulations, rules and guidelines by attending training classes, conferences and meetings to stay current with industry standards.
• Other duties as assigned as related to the position.
• FLSA, GAAP, State laws, statutes and regulations, policy and procedures pertinent to Payroll processing.
• Methods and techniques of processing payroll in the HRIS and ETE system, State and Agency Travel rules, regulation, policy and procedures as well as the State of Arizona Accounting Manual and AFIS, the State accounting system.
• State Human Resources practices, classification, compensation and employee benefits.
• Analysis and interpretation of payroll/accounting reports and data, mathematics and time calculations.
• Interpersonal relationships and active listening, Database use, research and analysis in the use of reporting tools such as Crystal Reports and Data warehouse reports.
• Strong oral and written communication, customer service in anticipating customer needs and/or problems, presentation and training skills, planning, control and organization.
• Handle multiple tasks while meeting quality and time constraints.
• Present information effectively in a manner suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
• Convey data clearly and concisely either verbally or in writing to non-financial employees in an easily understood manner.
Experience working in the public sector utilizing payroll, human resources and financial systems.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or a closely related field required. Two years' experience as an Accountant 1, 2 or equivalent.
The State’s comprehensive benefits package includes, affordable medical, dental, life, and short-term disability insurance plans. Top ranked retirement and long-term disability plans, deferred compensation plan. Accrued sick leave and vacation leave, ten paid holidays per year and wellness plans.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Eligible for Arizona State Retirement System pension. Enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment for newly hired State of Arizona employees.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.