The Arizona Attorney General’s Office Operations Division/Budget and Finance Section is seeking an Accountant 2. This position is responsible for accounts payable related activities. Position may also be assigned components of general ledger and travel.
Remote Options: This position may be eligible for Remote Work two days a week.
• Reviews, prepares and inputs accounts payable transactions into Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS) and Procure AZ including encumbrances, encumbrance corrections, and invoices.
• Responsible for running various accounts payable related reports to identify inconsistencies and errors through the use of Info Advantage and excel databases, such as open encumbrance report, daily warrants, and accounts payable status report.
• Ensures all claims follow the State of Arizona Accounting Manual (SAAM), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and all applicable Federal and State laws, policies, and procedures, and works with the General Accounting Office for any exception requests.
• Works with Divisions to resolve any accounts payable related issues and follows-up on outstanding receipts. Coordinates with vendors on any accounts payable related issue for the office.
• Initiates and prepares correcting entries for any identified inconsistencies and/or errors related to accounts payable.
• Participate in General Ledger and Travel related activities.
• Knowledge of principles, concepts, practices methods and techniques of governmental accounting, internal control structures, and fiscal management
• Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Knowledge of accounting systems, including the use of various software packages
• Knowledge of the State of Arizona accounting manual and applicable agency manuals
• Knowledge of data processing techniques as it applies to accounting practices
• Knowledge of the processes of State government
• Analytical skills
• Computer skills (including advanced spreadsheet and database skills)
• Communications skills (both oral and written)
• Critical thinking
• Interpersonal skills
• Multitasking skills
• Ability to produce high quality deliverables
• Ability to synthesize large volumes of information
• Ability to analyze financial data
The ideal candidate has a strong governmental accounting background, excellent communication skills, systems knowledge and a passion for working in a challenging and fast-paced Public Service work environment.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting is required.
• Travel is required for this position. A valid Arizona Driver’s License is required, along with consent to have your driving record run periodically.
• All applicants under serious consideration for hire with the Attorney General's Office are required to be fingerprinted by the Office and complete a criminal background check through State and Federal agencies. A job offer cannot be tendered until the candidate has successfully passed the initial background check. Your record does not automatically constitute a bar to employment. Factors such as, but not limited to, age at time of offense and age of offense, as well as the relationship between the offense and the job for which you apply will be taken into account.
The Attorney General's Office offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
Health and dental insurance
Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
• Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
• Please note, enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Human Resources at (602) 542-8056 or email us at email@example.com.
During all phases of the selection process, people with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting the AG’s Human Resources Office at (602) 542-8056 or via e-mail at HumanResources@azag.gov. The Arizona Office of the Attorney General does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age in its programs, activities or in its hiring and employment practices. The following division has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Operations Division, 2005 N. Central Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85004, Phone: (602) 542-8056, Fax: (602) 542-8000.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.