The Department of Economic Security is seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to join our team as Accountant 2 with the Accounting Administration.
The State of Arizona strives for a work culture that affords employees flexibility, autonomy, and trust. Across our many agencies, boards, commissions, many States employees participate in the State's Remote Work Program and are able to work remotely in their homes, in offices, and in hoteling spaces. All work, including remote work, should be performed within Arizona unless an exception is properly authorized in advance.
• Assists in the preparation of the Department’s annual audited financial statements and supporting schedules, ensuring financial reporting conforms to GAAP.
• Utilizes automated accounting systems and applications to retrieve and review financial data. Makes recommendations for improvement, applying knowledge and skills, current accounting theory, or other specific accounting requirements.
• Establishes and maintains effective management and documented schedules and work papers by researching, analyzing, and interpreting program financial data to be used in the compilation of the State’s CAFR and other State and Federal financial reports.
• Creates standard work and conducts training for designated Department staff in processing receipts through the Arizona Procurement Portal (APP). Works closely with State Procurement Office (SPO), APP Help Desk, and Department groups to ensure adherence to the State of Arizona Accounting Manual (SAAM) and GAAP. Communicates with the SPO APP Help Desk regarding receipt issues and enhancement requests.
• Gathers and compiles data for proposed adjusting journal entries and expenditure corrections for management approval. Composes correspondence, replying to auditor or Department program inquiries. Presents or requests information requiring considerable discretion and judgment.
• Knowledge of principles, concepts, practices, methods, and techniques of government accounting.
• Knowledge of GAAP, internal control structures and fiscal management.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques of automated accounting systems, including use of various software packages.
• Knowledge of reference materials, such as Federal regulations, Arizona Revised Statutes, SAAM, applicable Department manuals, policies, and procedures.
• Knowledge of financial research methodologies, such as random valid statistical sampling.
• Skill in task organization and accomplishment.
• Skill in analysis, interpretation, and communication of financial data.
• Skill in techniques required to maintain accounting records through automated accounting systems.
• Skill in interpersonal skills and imparting knowledge to others; oral and written communications.
• Skill in Microsoft Office, Gmail, and G Suite applications.
Ability to analyze and evaluate data and situations.
• Ability to write reports and make recommendations.
• Ability to maintain professional interpersonal relationships within and outside of the agency.
• Ability to complete projects within given time frames.
One year experience as an Accountant 1 or equivalent within a government agency preferred.
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and one year experience as an Accountant 1 or equivalent.
• Successfully complete the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify), applicable to all newly hired State employees.
• Successfully pass background and reference checks; employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions.
• The position may require the possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12). Individuals may be required to use their personal motor vehicle.
The Arizona Department of Economic Security offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
- Career Advancement & Employee Development Opportunities
- Flexible schedules to create a work/life balance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Stipend Opportunities
- Infant at Work Program
- RideShare and Public Transit Subsidy
- Affordable Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Life and Disability Insurance
By providing the option of a full-time or part-time remote work schedule, employees may enjoy improved work/life balance, report higher job satisfaction, and are more productive. Remote work is a management option and not an employee entitlement or right, An agency head may terminate a remote work agreement at its discretion.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
State employees are required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS), the State-sponsored retirement contribution plan and the Long-Term Disability (LTD) program after a 27-week waiting period. The ASRS defined benefit plan provides for life-long income upon retirement. You will also have the option to participate in a voluntary deferred compensation program to take advantage of tax-deferred retirement investments.
On, or shortly after, your first day of work you will be provided with additional information about the available insurance plans, enrollment instructions, submission deadlines and effective dates.
Apply through azstatejobs.azdoa.gov. For questions about this career opportunity, please call Laura Kaspar (480)253-6565 or email LKaspar@azdes.gov.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting (480)253-6565. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.