Division of Planning and Operations/Bureau of Business and Financial Services
This position coordinates and oversees the accounting and grant management of our Agency; provides accounting and grant expertise and general oversight of the professional accounting staff responsible for the fiscal operations and processes that relate to the accounting systems of the Agency. Approves a variety of accounting documents and transactions in AFIS, the state's accounting system. Applies established accounting principles, theories, concepts, and practices to a wide variety of challenging and difficult problems. Runs AFIS queries to extract data for a variety of special projects, reports and to solve problems. Assesses our capacity to perform all accounting work that is required in order to be in compliance with GAO and SAAM policies. Assists with the review of our chart of accounts structure in AFIS and JBilling. Responsible for all banking and federal draw functions for the agency. Participates in creating policies for the agency and assists with reviewing and communicating SAAM policies.
- Manages, through subordinate supervisors or directly, a staff of professional accountants engaged in the application of established accounting principles of a varied nature directly to the area of assignment. Areas of assignment include revenue processing, accounts payable, grant management, medical billing, and purchasing and travel card.
- Directs the performance of professional operational or accounting work applying established accounting principles, theories, concepts, and practices to a wide variety of difficult problems.
- Reviews fiscal year-end closing reports and other state/federal reporting requirements, as required or directed. Prepares reports utilizing AFIS and database queries for a variety of special projects and to solve problems. Approves and initiates document processing in AFIS.
- Reviews and submits all banking and merchant accounts requests to the Treasurer. Initiates and submits chart of accounts for credit card processing in JBilling. Has signature authority for all accounting functions.
- Monitors key operational performance metrics for revenue processing, grants management, accounts payable and medical billing. Recommends improvements/modifications to metrics as appropriate, and identifies opportunities to streamline and improve standard work in the spirit of continuous quality improvement.
- Participates in the establishment and periodic review of guidelines, procedures, and policies. Initiates, modifies, and reviews standard work. Fully supports the Arizona Management System (AMS) via attending huddle meetings, tracking key performance metrics, holding 1:1 meetings with subordinate supervisors, and performing leader standard work.
- Assesses employees job performance and provides training and development to prepare employees for future growth opportunities. Promptly addresses any employee performance issues after consulting with HR and together determining what progressive discipline steps are required. Employs successful employee motivation tools and actively supports the agency's employee engagement efforts.
- Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles(GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards Board(GASB) standards.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, concepts, practices, methods, and techniques of government accounting, internal control structures, and fiscal management.
- Extensive knowledge of reference material such as federal regulations, Arizona Revised Statutes, applicable Agency manuals, and policies and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods and techniques of automated accounting systems, including the use of applicable software.
- Performance Management (PM), and Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) and Lean methodologies.
- Substantial skill in work organization and accomplishment.
- Significant skills in analysis, interpretation, and communication of financial data.
- Considerable skill in techniques required to maintain accounting records through automated accounting systems.
- Support a diverse multi-cultural workforce that reflects the community, promotes equal opportunity at all levels of public employment, and creates an inclusive work environment that enables all individuals to perform to their fullest potential free from discrimination.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting or closely related field is required, along with a minimum of 4 plus years recent experience managing a high-volume accounting office. Preference given to candidates with a Master's Degree in Business Administration or Accounting and/or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license preferred.
Employees who drive on state business require possession of and the ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any driver training (See Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.11).
The State of Arizona provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package including:
− Affordable medical and dental insurance plans
− Paid vacation and sick time
− 10 paid holidays per year
− Wellness program and plans
− Life insurance
− Short/long-term disability insurance
− Defined retirement plan
− Award winning Infant at Work program
− Credit union membership
− Transit subsidy
− ADHS Student Assistance Pilot Program
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
To help you build a financially secure future, the State makes monthly contributions to finance your retirement benefit. The State will make a contribution to the ASRS in an amount equal to your contribution. In other words, you and the State will each pay 50% of the total cost of the benefit. New State employees have a 27 week wait period for contributions to begin.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 542-1085. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. DHS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.