The ICA uses the Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS) and the purchase order system, Arizona Procurement Portal (APP), to process Administrative and Special Fund transactions. The Special Fund also uses an ERP system, JWS Claims Management, to process Worker's Compensation claims in AFIS. The Accounting Specialist I must have knowledge of each system. Additionally, the Accounting Specialist I must have a good working knowledge of Excel to perform allocations, maintain logs and complete reconciliations.
Daily assigned tasks include researching, compiling, analyzing, balancing, reconciling and summarizing fiscal records; posting account information accurately and timely; solving daily problems and making independent decisions based on information and research; reviewing and correcting accounting codes and mathematical calculations; matching invoices with purchase orders and receiving documents; processing invoices for payment and taking advantage of all available discounts; researching customer accounts and processing billing request forms to create accounts receivable documents; resolving conflicts and problems presented by peers of the Accounting Division, other ICA Division staff and outside vendors; encumbering funds and monitoring and controlling amounts expended from appropriated funds to assure that expenditures do not exceed available funds; monitoring worker's compensation claims reserves and controlling amounts expended not to exceed reserve levels; and researching, gathering and compiling data for daily logs and monthly summary reports.
This position reports to the Accounting Supervisor, and backs up the other Accounting Specialist I positions. All Accounting Specialist Is are cross trained on each other’s duties. This position performs other duties as assigned.
• The principles, concepts, practices of fiscal and financial processing and record keeping, including automated accounts payable and accounts receivable systems.
• Methods and practices of handling and safeguarding cash and negotiable instruments.
• State and Federal procedures including the State of Arizona Accounting Manual, State of Arizona Procurement rules, ICA policies and procedures and OSHA federal grant requirements.
• Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS).
• Computer software applications for communication, spreadsheets, Internet, and word processing, including Microsoft Word, Google Suit and Excel.
• Arizona Procurement Portal (APP)
• W-9 forms and 1099 reporting.
• Processing transactions effectively using the State’s accounting and procurement systems.
• Processing transactions effectively using ICA's integrated financial management systems (GovCollect and JWS FileHandler).
• Maintaining ledgers and journals and preparing reports that summarize financial transactions.
• Preparing transfers and journal entries.
• Gathering, compiling, examining and reconciling accounting transactions and vendor and customer accounts.
• Maintaining accurate records in accordance with State records retention policies.
• Effectively operating computer software applications for communication, spreadsheets, Internet, and word processing, including Microsoft Word, Google Suite and Excel..
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Perform routine accounting tasks involving basic numeric calculations.
• Complete a variety of financial transactions with accuracy under tight deadlines.
• Understand, interpret and apply the fundamental principles of accounting and general fiscal and financial record keeping practices in the performance of assigned tasks.
• Analyze fiscal data.
• Recognize and engage those with different backgrounds, characteristics, and perspectives to bridge gaps in understanding of differing viewpoints, as well as ensuring persons with diverse perspectives are given the opportunity to collaborate and provide input.
Ideal candidates will have:
One year governmental accounting experience; or completion of at least 12 semester hours of accounting and one year professional level accounting experience; or a Bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting.
Arizona Driver's License:
Must possess valid Arizona Driver's License. Required In-state and out-of-state travel is required. Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver's license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver's license record checks, must complete any required driver training (See Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207 (12). Employees may be required to use their own transportation, as well as maintaining valid motor vehicle insurance and current Arizona vehicle registration; however, mileage will be reimbursed.
The Arizona Department of Administration offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
Health and dental insurance
Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
You will be eligible to participate in the state employee health/disability insurance plan, and you are required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS). ASRS participation may begin immediately or upon your 27th week of employment. Contributions are matched by the employer.
If you have any questions please feel free to call 602-542-5559 or email HR@azica.gov for assistance.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.