The Department of Economic Security is seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to join our team as Accounting Specialist 2 with the Office of Accounts Receivable and Collections.
The Accounting Specialist performs journey-level accounting tasks within an automated fiscal services system. This individual is responsible for the timely and accurate accounting of monthly revenue averaging $35 million collected for 30 different DES programs, each with specific funding sources, programmatic accounting transaction types, and reporting requirements, as well as unique types of debts and recovery tools. This individual provides oversight to the automated Collections system; ensures proper accounting procedures are used in the separation of duties related to cash receipts and the timely, accurate processing of all billing, collection, and cash receipt responsibilities; monitors, reviews, and analyzes automated reports from various automated systems; reviews assorted daily accounting and collection reports; and ensures accuracy for the reconciliation of interfaces of ARICS with other automated systems and data.
● Knowledge of the principles, concepts, practices, methods, and techniques of government accounting and fiscal management.
● Knowledge of automated accounting and collection systems, such as the Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS) and ARICS.
● Knowledge of DES automated systems, such as GUIDE, AZTECS, FOCUS.
● Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Workspace applications.
● Knowledge of electronic banking commerce protocols.
● Skill in analyzing and interpreting complex financial data, including automated summary reports.
● Skill in work techniques required in maintaining accounting records through automated accounting systems.
● Skill in mathematical computations.
● Skill in verbal and written communication.
● Skill in workload management and problem-solving.
● Ability to apply work methodologies in the processing of financial transactions related to accounting procedures.
● Ability to disseminate information clearly and concisely.
● Ability to participate in problem-solving and decision-making processes.
● Prefer one year of accounting experience plus a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or a related field such as Finance or Public Administration.
● Successfully complete the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify), applicable to all newly hired State employees.
● Successfully pass background and reference checks; employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions.
● The position may require the possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records, and must complete any driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12). Individuals may be required to use their personal motor vehicle.
We offer a competitive benefits package that is unmatched by the private sector and a culture that encourages team success and advocates for personal advancement.
-Affordable Health, Dental, Vision and Life and Disability Insurance
-10 holidays per year
-Paid Vacation and Sick time off - start earning it your 1st day
-Eligible to participate in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (must meet qualifications)
-Contribute to, and participate in the Arizona State Retirement System
-Ride Share and Public Transit Subsidy
-Career Advancement Opportunities
-Opportunity to work remotely (home office) on an ad-hoc basis
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
State employees are required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS), the State-sponsored retirement contribution plan, and the Long-Term Disability (LTD) program after a 27-week waiting period. The ASRS defined benefit plan provides for life-long income upon retirement. You will also have the option to participate in a voluntary deferred compensation program to take advantage of tax-deferred retirement investments.
On, or shortly after, your first day of work you will be provided with additional information about the available insurance plans, enrollment instructions, submission deadlines, and effective dates.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-542-2413.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.