Supervises a staff of professional accountants responsible for applying established accounting principles, theories, concepts, and practices directly to Arizona State Lottery operations. Responsible for the professional and senior levels of applying established accounting principles, theories, concepts, and practices with highly complex accounting structure and accounting issues.
In this role, you will:
• Supervise day-to-day financial operations, including management of Payroll, Accounts Payable and Fixed Assets, prepare, review and approve a variety of complex financial statements and reports for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) or other accounting standards.
• Maintain an internal control structure through the review of reconciliations, financial data, procedures, and controls. Assigns a wide variety of accounting tasks such as maintaining ledgers, recording entries, participation in the budget process, and interacting with vendors.
• Provide leadership, oversight and direction of the Lottery's professional accounting staff; supervise the activities, job performance of the subordinate accounting staff; consult with Accounting Manager on hiring and disciplinary recommendations.
• Direct and support the implementation of the agency's lean management system within the Accounting Department to achieve performance goals and continuous improvement; coach staff members to adopt and improve lean management principles; develop key performance indicators and leading metrics to measure and predict agency performance.
• Prepare and participate in the agency’s annual audit process; provide documentation requested from external auditors as well as answer any questions during audit sessions.
• Work with Accounting Manager to implement and manage a professional development and staff certification program for the Accounting Department to assist staff in meeting continuing education goals and to incorporate industry best practices into agency operations.
• Attend and participate in meetings having an impact on integrity and financial management, including the agency Monthly Financial Review.
Requires Knowledge of:
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), as well as the principles, practices, and techniques of government accounting
- Automated accounting systems such as AFIS, NewWorld including various software packages
- Federal regulations, state statutes, agency rules policies and procedures; as well as management/leadership techniques
- Strong Information Technology acumen, including database structure
- Google Suite and Microsoft Office software
Requires Skills in:
- Advanced communication skills; oral and written
- Advanced interpersonal skills
- Group facilitation skills
- Substantial skill in work organization and accomplishment
- Significant skills in analysis, interpretation and communication of financial data
- Considerable skill in techniques required to maintain accounting records through automated accounting systems
- Skill in operating Microsoft Word / Google Docs, Microsoft Excel / Google Sheets
Requires the Ability to:
- Strong ability to manage, manipulate and present complicated financial data
- Strong ability to focus on complicated tasks; attention to detail
- Ability to provide mentorship and guidance to subordinate supervisors
- Public speaking ability
CPA license preferred
The Arizona Lottery offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
Health and dental insurance
Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
If you have any questions please feel free to contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.