Would you like to be part of an amazing culture that helps Arizonans reach their full potential through temporary assistance? The Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES) is looking for individuals that are committed to service, community, and teamwork.
The Department of Economic Security, Division of Employment and Rehabilitation Services (DERS) performs an integral role in improving Arizona’s workforce by assisting individuals who are unemployed or underemployed, and those with barriers, to prepare for and obtain meaningful employment. DERS supports Arizona employers with recruitment assistance by connecting them to a skilled workforce.
We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accounting Supervisor with the Finance and Business Operations Administration (FBOA). This position is responsible for the supervision of all financial, accounting, auditing, funding, and budgetary activities of assigned administrations within the Division of Employment and Rehabilitation Services (DERS) and ensures that all rules, codes, and federal and state regulations are followed in performing these functions.
• Provide technical assistance, review work, and ensure accuracy of the products produced by a team of professional level budget managers and financial analysts.
• Have a comprehensive understanding of the operations of the assigned programs and their interrelationships to the Department.
• Plan, manage, organize, direct, supervise, and personally perform professional budgeting and finance activities in accordance with the principles and procedures of federal and state regulations.
• Compile revenue, expenditure, appropriation, and obligations data to analyze, monitor, interpret, and report financial information, evaluate financial, economic, and case load trends, and make projections of financial requirements of assigned programs.
• Compile programmatic data in response to special requests covering a broad spectrum.
• Develop strategies to enhance funding and provide advice to executive management regarding allocation of resources to implement priorities.
• Identify, research, review, analyze and establish possible impacts of proposed or pending federal and State legislation, policy changes, or funding modifications for assigned areas.
• Monitor fiscal budget related activities, records, and documents including funding requests, budget decision packages, corrective action plans, appropriations, expenditures, grants, and contracts.
• Recommend and implement processes to resolve data quality issues and work with information technology staff as needed to ensure consistency between multiple client databases and reporting systems.
• Knowledge of Governmental accounting and fiscal principles
• Knowledge of supervisor and employee rights, rules, regulations, and practices
• Oral and written communications of complex concepts
• Proficiency in statutory and rules interpretation, issues identification and resolution
• Ability to interact with a diverse audience on a professional level
• Ability to organize and present information in structured and non-structured settings
• Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business, or public administration, or related field is strongly preferred.
• Master's degree in one of the fields is and/or a professional certification is a plus.
• Prefer practical work experience managing the budget/finances of a large complex organization.
• Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or a closely related field required.
• One year experience at the Accountant 4 level or equivalent.
• Successfully complete the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify), applicable to all newly hired State employees.
• Successfully pass background and reference checks; employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions.
We offer a competitive benefits package that is unmatched by the private sector and a culture that encourages team success and advocates for personal advancement.
-Affordable Health, Dental, Vision and Life and Disability Insurance
-10 holidays per year
-Paid Vacation and Sick time off - start earning it your 1st day
-Eligible to participate in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (must meet qualifications)
-Contribute to, and participate in the Arizona State Retirement System
-Ride Share and Public Transit Subsidy
-Career Advancement Opportunities
-Opportunity to work remotely (home office) on an ad-hoc basis
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
State employees are required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS), the State sponsored retirement contribution plan and the Long-Term Disability (LTD) program after a 27-week waiting period. The ASRS defined benefit plan provides for life-long income upon retirement. You will also have the option to participate in a voluntary deferred compensation program to take advantage of tax-deferred retirement investments.
On, or shortly after, your first day of work, you will be provided with additional information about the available insurance plans, enrollment instructions, submission deadlines and effective dates.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting (480) 392-3471 or email Sgillette@azdes.gov
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.