This position may be available for remote work within Arizona (2-3 days per week in the office)
Provide a more in depth review of the entire project set up. Ensure that established projects comply with both GAAP and Federal Highway Administration rules and regulations. Compile, review and analyze the reconciliation of reports and financial data to ensure that costs are properly allocated to appropriate federal, state or other funding sources as anticipated. Research and ensure that any irregularities are corrected. Responsible for the weekly FHWA Billing. This is to include ensuring compliance with federal and state regulations and statues relative to project funding, analyzing and validating costs associated with project funding and interacting with federal agencies, local governments and multiple ADOT departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Serve as a technical advisor by providing guidance to other functional areas. Resolve problems and questions presented by internal and external customers. Facilitate smooth interactions and identify actions to address issues while involving appropriate ADOT groups and functions
• Conduct analysis and interpretation of complex accounting records. Run, analyze and reconcile report information. Use reports and other system drill-down functionality to identify and correct errors. Ensure proper coding of all highway construction projects to comply with federal regulations and GAAP. Advise on proper funding profiles and setup
• Performs detailed examination while reviewing and comparing documentation for project costs, amounts billed, and amounts reimbursed. Verifies correct pro-ration of Federal and matching billings and of construction engineering costs and assessment of liquidated damages where appropriate. Provide solutions and make recommendations for improvement on issues
• Oversee the weekly federal billing process, ensuring compliance with applicable rules and regulations. Monitor AFIS tables for any 15% items that could cause reimbursement rejects. Correct and follow up on any items that are rejected
• Analyze and validate costs associated with project funding from a variety of state, federal and third party funding sources. Accumulate, analyze and reconcile the Department's financial records to ensure accurate and timely submissions for reimbursement from the Federal
Highway Administration and other 3rd parties
• Recommend improvements to work system. Streamline processes or procedures. Update standard work, policies and procedures. Motivate team to embrace the Arizona Management System
• Automated Financial System Principles and practices of Auditing and Accounting
• Detailed understanding of the relationships that exist between the project setup tables, funding tables and the budget tables. In addition to understanding the complex systematic interrelations
• Microsoft Excel
• Microsoft Word
• Good written and verbal communication
• Analyze and interpret contract and financial data
• Apply information contained in contracts to financial data
• Apply Accounting and Auditing principles to project analysis
• Critical thinking
• Google Suite
• Communicate with various levels of responsible individuals from FHWA and ADOT
• Assist project managers on resolving issues relating to projects and provide recommendations
• Understand complex state and federal laws relations to projects
• Collect, compile, analyze, and interpret financial data
• Problem solve and provide resolution
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
Bachelor's degree with a major in accounting from a accredited college or university;
Bachelor's degree in a related field with a minimum of 24 semester hours of accounting
Ideal candidate will also have three years of previous work experience in auditing or government.
This position requires possession of a valid Arizona Class D Driver License. Candidates for this position must complete and sign PART 1 of the State of Arizona Application for Employment at the time of interview, which will allow ADOT to obtain the candidate's motor vehicle record (MVR). If considered, PART 2 of the State of Arizona Application for Employment allows a record review and reference check. The most recent 39-month period shown on the MVR will be reviewed in accordance with A.A.C. R2-10-207.11 (H) and (I). The review must show an acceptable driving record prior to any offer of employment being made by ADOT. Employment is contingent upon an acceptable MVR and record review/ reference check.
The Arizona Department of Administration offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
• Sick leave
• Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
• Health and dental insurance
• Retirement plan
• Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
• Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Mandatory participation in the Arizona Retirement System (ASRS) is required
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 712-7279. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. ADOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.