This position plans, develops and implements therapeutic recreation programs consistent with established federal, state and VA regulations and facility policies and procedures.
Follows department policies and procedures applicable to assigned job responsibilities and complies with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
Maintains clinical and administrative records, maintains therapy space, supplies and equipment, attends and participates in care plan meetings.
Learns, implements and monitors Arizona Management System (AMS) methods and completes projects as assigned.
Incorporates a cultural focus on Veteran/Member-centered care in the performance of job duties.
Transports Veterans/Members to and from community outings.
• Plans and develops therapeutic recreation programs. Develops a monthly recreation calendar and submits it to the Manager for approval. Maintains Activities/Recreational Therapy bulletin board. Purchases items needed for planned programming according to state procurement rules
• Conducts recreational therapy sessions with individuals and groups in accordance with established treatment plans and specific methodologies and techniques. Programs may include special community events and involvement with community and veteran service organizations
• Maintains appropriate clinical and administrative records regarding diagnosis, treatment and summary of Veteran/Member progress. Responsible for completion of all therapeutic recreation assessments, care plans, MDS, CAS modules, participation records/daily attendance and progress notes
• Attends care plan meetings; participates in discussions and problem-solving process. Confers with other staff members, special consultants and members of the treatment team. Attends department and facility meetings. May mentor student interns
• Participates in special projects as assigned by the Activities/Recreation Therapy Manager. Participates in staff meetings and attends in-service training. Learns, implements and monitors Arizona Management System (AMS) methods. Utilizes AMS concepts and tools for problem solving and work process improvements. Actively participates in AMS processes such as Huddle Boards, Problem Solving, Job Breakdown Sheets, Success Tracking and Standardized Work. Fully participates in the QAPI program, our Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement program mandate by CMS, which incorporates AMS concepts
• Maintains therapy space, supplies and equipment in clean, orderly and operational condition. Transports Veterans/Members to and from community outings using State Vehicles. Acts as guide and trip leader to ensure proper Veteran/Member participation and safety
• Maintains a personal caseload of assigned Veterans/Members
Knowledge of rules:
• Regulations, policies and procedures that govern the agency, section and work unit
• Methods used to accomplish therapeutic goals through recreational programs
• Principles, practices and techniques of recreational therapy
• Community resources for recreational activities
• Therapeutic value of recreational activities
• Demonstrating therapeutic recreation/activities
• Applying recreational therapy techniques
• Verbal and written communication skills
• Work management skills
• Basic computer skills
• Interpersonal skills
• Transport residents in State vehicle
• Must possess at minimum a Bachelors Degree in Therapeutic Recreation or a related field OR have or obtain a professional certification within one year of placement into the position. An accepted certifications include Certified Recreation Therapist (National Council for Therapeutic Recreation, or National Association of Activity Professionals) or Certified Music Therapist (Certification Board for Music Therapists) or Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant
• Able to obtain and retain a valid AZ Department of Public Safety (DPS) Fingerprint Clearance Card
• Required to drive on State business; must possess a valid Arizona driver's license
The State of Arizona offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
• Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
• Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
• Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
• Health and dental insurance
• Retirement plan
• Sick leave
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
• Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
• Please note that enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment
• If you have any questions please feel free to contact Arlene Seagraves at email@example.com for assistance
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.