The Department of Economic Security, Division of Aging and Adult Services, seeks an experienced and highly motivated individual to join our team as an Administrative Assistant 3 with Adult Protective Services. DAAS supports at-risk Arizonans to meet their basic needs and to live safely, with dignity and independence. Services and programs reach a diverse population of Arizonans.
Adult Protective Services (APS) accepts and evaluates reports of abuse, neglect, and exploitation on behalf of vulnerable adults 18 years of age or older. APS leadership relies on you to assist them with a wide variety of complex administrative tasks including research, special projects, coordinating internal data entry spreadsheets, operations planning and report preparation. You prepare a variety of proposals and/or reports requiring considerable program knowledge and coordination. You compose correspondence on a wide variety of subjects. You liaise with the Local Office Coordinator regarding building maintenance and safety evacuation procedures. You provide support to managers with the recruitment and onboarding process of employees.
The State of Arizona strives for a work culture that affords employees flexibility, autonomy, and trust. Across our many agencies, boards, commissions, many State employees participate in the State’s Remote Work Program and are able to work remotely in their homes, in offices, and in hoteling spaces. All work, including remote work, should be performed within Arizona, unless an exception is properly authorized in advance.
*This position works primarily from the successful candidate’s Arizona home office but occasional in-person attendance at the worksite location for mandatory meetings, trainings, etc. may be required. Worksite locations: 3262 Bob Drive, Prescott Valley, Arizona 86314, or 1500 East Cherry Street, Cottonwood, Arizona 86326, or 1701 North 4th Street, Flagstaff, Arizona 86004.
• Perform complex administrative tasks including research, special projects, coordinating data entry spreadsheets and operations planning. Prepare a variety of data entry and operational reports. Coordinate administrative support for hiring managers for recruitments and equipment and on-boarding process for new employees. Act as back-up for other APS units and areas.
• Coordinate and supervise the administrative operations for offices located statewide. Act as liaison with the business office and Local Office Coordinator regarding equipment, building maintenance and safety evacuation procedures.
• Develop or modify procedures and forms to improve program effectiveness. Prepare a variety of fiscal and operational reports. Coordinate administrative matters between organizational units. Compose correspondence on a wide variety of subjects, report creation and letter generation. Interpret and explain organizational rules, regulations, and functions. Coordinate activities with other departments, agencies, community organizations, etc.
• Receive calls and provide assistance to the public and internal/external clients. Assist with record requests and related correspondence. May have contact with vulnerable adults.
• Principles and practices of effective practices of administration and management of workflow
• Standard office policies and procedures to perform discretionary tasks
• English grammar and spelling and mathematics
• Accounting and budgeting procedures and contracting concepts
• Oral and written communication
• Analyzing information, problem solving, and multi-tasking
• Planning, prioritizing, and managing workload to effectively and timely accomplish tasks
• Using a variety of computer software packages (e.g., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, databases, Google Suite, etc.)
• Write clear, concise, and accurate documents
• Plan, analyze, coordinate activities, and correctly prioritize tasks in a dynamic work environment while maintaining confidentiality
• Expediently extract correct data to populate system reports
• Develop and revise operating procedures
Three years responsible administrative experience; OR a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and two years responsible administrative experience; OR a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university and one year of responsible administrative experience.
• This position may require a Notary Public pursuant to Arizona Revised Statute 41-316.
• Candidates for this position shall be subject to a search of both the Child Protective Services Central Registry pursuant to A.R.S. 8-804 and the Adult Protective Services Registry pursuant to A.R.S. 46-459.
• A.R.S. 41-1968 Employee shall have a valid, unrestricted Level One fingerprint clearance card issued pursuant to Arizona Revised Statute 41-1758.07 in order to work with children and vulnerable adults, prior to the start of their employment.
• In-state travel may be required. The position may require the possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.11). Individuals may be required to use their personal motor vehicle.
• Successfully complete the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify), applicable to all newly hired State employees.
• Successfully pass background and reference checks; employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions.
The Arizona Department of Economic Security offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
- Career Advancement & Employee Development Opportunities
- Flexible schedules to create a work/life balance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Stipend Opportunities
- Infant at Work Program
- RideShare and Public Transit Subsidy
- Affordable Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Life and Disability Insurance
By providing the option of a full-time or part-time remote work schedule, employees enjoy improved work/life balance, report higher job satisfaction, and are more productive. Remote work is a management option and not an employee entitlement or right. An agency may terminate a remote work agreement at its discretion.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
State employees are required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS), the State-sponsored retirement contribution plan and the Long-Term Disability (LTD) program after a 27-week waiting period. The ASRS defined benefit plan provides for life-long income upon retirement. You will also have the option to participate in a voluntary deferred compensation program to take advantage of tax-deferred retirement investments. On, or shortly after, your first day of work you will be provided with additional information about the available insurance plans, enrollment instructions, submission deadlines and effective dates.
Apply through www.azstatejobs.gov. For questions about this career opportunity, please call Brenda Cruz at (480)493-9033 or email DAASHR@azdes.gov.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting (602) 542-0400. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.