Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Conducts routine to moderately complex audits involving the accurate calculation and application of tax laws, rules, and regulations, policies, and procedures of the department in a consistent manner to all taxpayers. Completes accurate and timely examination of audits for determining and recomputing tax liabilities.
• Researches routine to moderately complex issues to resolve taxpayer appeals in accordance with Arizona and Federal tax laws, rules, regulations, department policies and court cases, explaining and fully documenting adjustments and conclusions to taxpayers and/or their representatives in an accurate and timely manner.
• Prepares work papers to fully document and support the department's position; taxpayer correspondence and reporting of metrics.
• Attends and participates in meetings and huddles of the work unit or section. Provides process improvement recommendations. Completes periodic metrics, projects, huddle boards, and reports as requested.
• Other duties as assigned as related to the position.
• General auditing standards and procedures; accounting and auditing methods. Knowledge of federal regulations, Arizona Revised Statutes, applicable agency policies, and procedures.
• Analytical skills to interpret and apply the Arizona and federal income tax code; department rules, regulations and policies of the department.
• Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to interact effectively in a variety of situations. Ability to work on multiple projects with varying priorities.
• Apply LEAN concepts, principles, and tools used to create and deliver perspectives with the fewest resources with continuous problem-solving.
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
• Approximately one-year auditing experience OR completion of twelve semester hours of accounting and approximately six months of professional tax auditing, financial auditing, or closely related experience; OR Bachelor's degree in accounting or closely related field. Experience with Continuous Improvement or LEAN is preferred.
Candidates for this position will be required to submit Tax Filing Records, Employment Verification Check and Fingerprints that will be used to check criminal history records from the Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).
The State of Arizona provides a world class comprehensive benefits package including:
· Holidays – 10 paid per year. sick leave – 12 days per year. No accrual or carryover limits.
· A robust and affordable insurance plan that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability options.
· A top-ranked Arizona StateRetirement System (ASRS) with 100% employer-matched contributions (Enrollment eligibility will be effective after 27 weeks of employment).
· Up to $5,250 for tuition reimbursement available to seek further career advancement or certification in Continuing Professional Education.
· Work-life balance and additional options for life betterment such as the Infant at Work Program, Alternate Work Schedule, and Telework opportunity.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
A top-ranked Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) with 100% employer matched contributions (Enrollment eligibility will be effective after 27 weeks of employment).
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-716-6950.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.