Address: 1600 W. Monroe Street, Phoenix, AZ 85007
This position will represent the section of informal and formal hearings of tax protesters. This position is held accountable for preventing disclosure of confidential tax information, and must fully document audits by using work papers and keep the audit file in an orderly manner. Accountable for the proper use and care of laptop (or notebook) portable computers. In-state and out-of-state travel is required.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Conducting audits by reviewing financial records and information to ensure compliance with Arizona tax laws and regulations and preparing work papers detailing audit findings.
• Researching statutes and regulations as they apply to business activities conducted by corporate taxpayers.
• Analyzing refund claims.
• Identifying and eliminating non-value-added processes and making recommendations to integrate Lean principles into the overall continuous improvement strategy of corporate audit.
• Apply accounting and auditing techniques in the conduct of corporate audits.
• Federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as they pertain to corporate income tax
• Methodologies of legal research
• Auditing, accounting principles and procedures, computerized systems, and business law
• Federal and state income tax forms and preparation
• Time and project management principles
• Intermediate to advanced use of Microsoft Excel and Word
• Researching, analyzing, and interpreting federal and state laws as they pertain to corporate income tax matters
• Auditing and accounting methods and technique
• Computerized products in accomplishing audits
• Applying and interpreting policies and procedures established by the department, mathematical computation, verbal and written communication
• Interpersonal relationships
• Organizing work papers and documenting audit findings completely and logically
• Apply required knowledge to conduct audits of taxpayer's accounts and records
• Meet with and obtain the cooperation of personnel and representatives of organizations subject to tax regulation
• Create and maintain an atmosphere of goodwill in conducting audits and disclosing audit findings
• Analyze data and draw sound conclusions
• Analyze situations accurately and take effective action
• Prepare clear, complete, and concise reports
• Communicate effectively
• Be proficient in the use of personal computers, specialized auditing practices and procedures
• Provisions of Arizona's Corporate Income tax Laws
• General principles of automated data processing are related to tax work
• Work on multiple projects and handle varying priorities, work independently and/or collectively and adapt to changing environments and new technologies with colleagues and team members
• Identify inefficiencies and ineffective processes, determine options and improvements needed and successfully guide the necessary changes
• Learn and apply LEAN concepts, principles, and tools used to create and deliver perspectives with the fewest resources with continuous problem solving
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
• Two years of experience in accounting OR certification as a CPA.
• Experience with Continuous Improvement or LEAN preferred.
In-state travel may be required. Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver's license appropriate to the assignment; Required to obtain and maintain, internal driver course courses (ie., TraCorp).
Candidates for this position will be required to submit Tax Filing Records, Employment Verification Check, and Fingerprints that will be used to check criminal history records from the Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).
· Holidays – 10 paid per year. sick leave – 12 days per year. No accrual or carryover limits.
· A robust and affordable insurance plan that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability options.
· A top-ranked Arizona StateRetirement System (ASRS) with 100% employer-matched contributions (Enrollment eligibility will be effective after 27 weeks of employment).
· Up to $5,250 for tuition reimbursement available to seek further career advancement or certification in Continuing Professional Education.
· Work-life balance and additional options for life betterment such as the Infant at Work Program, Alternate Work Schedule, and Telework opportunity.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
A top-ranked Arizona State Retirement System with 100% employer-matched contributions (Please note enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment).
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.