BUSINESS AND FINANCE DIVISION
• Participates in preparing the Federal and State portion of the annual ADE Budget, which exceeds $6 billion and involves the coordination of data for more than 500 individual program budgets. Works with division heads and business managers; develops, analyzes, and executes program area budgets, ensuring they are complete and accurate. Ensures budgets are in alignment with the organization's objectives and goals in the strategic plan and provides budget reports on a bi-weekly basis. Monitors and analyzes the expenditures of State and Federal funds to ensure program areas stay within their budget limitations. Approves all personnel and procurement requests for funding. Troubleshoots budget errors in AFIS and ProcureAZ as needed. Prepares telecom allocations on a monthly basis, risk management, REACH, and IT chargebacks yearly, appropriation loads to the GAO, and all appropriation transfers. Works with programs and Grants Management to review availability of agency pass-through funds..
• In-state and out-of-state travel is required for this position
• Establishes monthly telecom charges as well as yearly allocations for risk management, REACH, and IT chargebacks
• Prepares appropriation loads and transfers
• Confers with Program Area management on the development of budgets for all grants and state funds for all administrative expenses
• Provides technical assistance to program area managers in preparing their budget proposals and analysis of past expenditures and projected future costs
• Reviews requests for budget revisions and makes recommendations to the program area managers based on the information gathered
• Prepares necessary budget revisions
• Monitors bi-weekly expenditure reports on approximately 100 State and Federal programs to prevent over expenditures
• Consults with and advises program area management of necessary adjustments in order to correct situation
• Aids in the development of the agency's annual budget request and reconciles to the program area's budget requests, adjusting as necessary
• Reads and interprets state, federal, and local codes, laws, and regulations in order to prepare reports or utilize in work activities
• Gathers data from manuals, statutes, rule books, codes, and regulations in order to make determinations and decisions
• Troubleshoots errors from AFIS and APP, including collaborating with other areas on preventative actions (Procurement, Accounting)
• Reviews and approves Budget Verification Forms from Grants Management, a process required before any grant applications can be opened to schools
Please note: For those selected for interviews, skills assessments may be administered as part of the interview process.
• Principles and practices of budgeting procedures and techniques
• Budget formulation (development and documentation)
• Budget execution (distribution to organizational levels and its control and accountability).
• Data analysis
• Understanding of relationships between resources and an organization's mission and functions
• Analysis and evaluation of organizational spending
• Calculating, organizing, and planning
• Exercising independent judgment
• Inter-personal relations
• Coping with intervals of extreme stress and pressure
• Oral and written communications
• Intermediate to advanced skill in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access
• Program and project management
• Organizing data
• Fostering support for building professional relationships
• Work independently
• Understand complex budget structures
• Interpret Arizona Revised Statutes, state policies and procedures, federal rules, and regulations
• Understand concepts and current practices in government budgeting and fiscal control
Preference will be given to those applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field and/or equivalent working experience
• Position requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.).
• Offers are contingent upon successful completion of all background and reference checks, required documents and, if applicable, a post-offer medical/physical evaluation.
ADE’s comprehensive benefits package includes:
• Affordable medical, dental, life, and short-term disability insurance plans
• Tuition reimbursement program available for education/professional development advancement
• Hybrid schedule (combination of telework and in-office) may be available for some job roles
• Top ranked retirement and long-term disability plans
• Deferred compensation plan
• Accrued sick leave and vacation leave
• Ten paid holidays per year
• Wellness plans
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
You will be required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) upon your 27th week of employment, subject to waiting period. On or shortly after, your first day of employment you will be provided with enrollment instructions and effective date.
The Arizona Department of Education is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. During all phases of the selection process, people with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation, such as a sign language interpreter, by contacting the ADE Human Resources office at (602) 542-3186 or via e-mail at HumanResourcesGroup@azed.gov.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.