The Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation & Reentry (ADCRR) is seeking to hire an experienced budget analyst with excellent communication skills and sound financial judgment. Under the general direction of the Budget Manager, this position is responsible for collecting data and ensuring data integrity, analyzing expenditure trends, forecasting, and preparing accurate, detailed budget reports.
The State of Arizona strives for a work culture that affords employees flexibility, autonomy, and trust. Across our many agencies, boards, commissions, many State employees participate in the State’s Remote Work Program and are able to work remotely in their homes, in offices, and in hoteling spaces. All work, including remote work, should be performed within Arizona, unless an exception is properly authorized in advance.
- Compiles data from various sources and verifies the accuracy
- Analyzes source data, reviews expenditure trends, and calculates budget projections
- Prepares comprehensive periodic budget reports and other ad hoc reports
- Participates in planning and development of the annual budget request by compiling historical data and projecting future costs
- Meets with divisional business managers to review expenditure trends, anticipated needs, and projections
- Drives on State business
- Performs other duties appropriate to the assignment
- Principles, concepts, and current practices in governmental budgeting and fiscal management
- Governmental fund accounting and basic accounting concepts
- Accounting/business systems, web-based report writer applications, and productivity software
- State government functions and legislative process
- Identifying, categorizing, and analyzing quantitative data
- Interpreting pertinent data and ascertaining solutions
- Extrapolating and analyzing quantitative data
- Interpreting statutes, rules, policies, and procedures
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Applying the principles and practices of budget analysis, and forecasting
- Written and verbal communication
- Perform quantitative data analysis and trend analysis
- Use of automated accounting systems, web-based report writer applications, and productivity software to accomplish assignments
- Work efficiently, effectively, timely, and at times independently
- Two (2) or more years of experience in State or Governmental setting conducting complex budget and financial analysis
- Experience with InfoAdvantage and the State of Arizona financial and payroll systems
Requires possession of, and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records, and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12).
Employment is contingent on the selected applicant passing a background investigation.
We offer an excellent and affordable comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees:
- Vacation and sick days with 10 paid holidays per year
- Robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability options
- Exceptional retirement program
- Optional employee benefits such as deferred compensation plans, credit union membership, and a wellness program
- An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
By providing the option of a full-time or part-time remote work schedule, employees enjoy improved work/life balance, report higher job satisfaction, and are more productive. Remote work is a management option and not an employee entitlement or right. An agency may terminate a remote work agreement at its discretion.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
Enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment.
Current ADCRR Employees: Consult with your respective Human Resources Liaison if you are in a different retirement plan than the one indicated above.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-255-2430.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.