The Building Maintenance Specialist performs maintenance task that require the application of highly skilled abilities maintaining and repairing buildings and related utility service systems for Maintenance Central and the Florence Military Reservation (FMR). The incumbent of this position contributes in the planning of, and services to oversee or carry out, the initial-through-completion stages of remodeling and construction work under limited supervision of the Physical Plant Supervisor I (PPSI), assuring compliance with national and local building codes and safety laws and rules. The Building Maintenance Specialist supervises Dept. of Corrections (DOC) inmates on work projects, providing transportation when needed.
• Coordinate with the Team Leader in repairing and maintaining buildings as assigned by the PPSI.
• Determine condition of facilities and decide on repairs or replacements to be made and carries them out. This includes performing painting, carpentry, plumbing (fixtures, valves, piping, drains, etc.), basic electrical and masonry maintenance including but not limited to: preparing surfaces and applying predetermined colors and mixtures by brush/spray/roller, replaces wallboards, hand doors (man door/personnel door), replaces ceiling and floor tiles, builds forms, mixes and finishes cement for walk ways and repairs roofs, repairs carpet. Uses and maintains appropriate hand and power tools.
• Coordinate projects with vendors, co-workers, customers, etc. On occasion, the Building Maintenance Specialist may be required to supervise Department of Correction minimum security work crew or individual.
• Ensure compliance with state procedures, policies, work methods and safety of assigned personnel.
• Participate in the planning, estimating, costing and ordering of materials in a timely and efficient manner; detecting and resolving work stoppages; Responsible for assigned equipment.
• Will maintain and supervise all controlled resources, repairs/replaces all related systems to include, all plumbing, sanitation, (potable and non-potable water), HVAC, fire protection, alarms, energy conservation, recycle, environmental, all utility companies, some key control, and coordinate with the City of Florence. Periodically, provides call back response to the facilities after-hours/emergency help desk and oversees repair work as necessary.
• Maintain a record of materials used, equipment, working hours expended, vehicle mileage and other information as required for work projects. Write reports and complete work orders regarding activities, transactions and progress covering a specified time period or project completion.
• Consistently maintain all credentials necessary to perform all tasks assigned.
• Attend job related and/or other opportunities for training and certifications.
• National and Local building codes
• Methods and practices involved in remodeling, construction, installation and replacing major utilities services
• Common and specialized tools, equipment and materials related to the work
• Techniques of work leadership and training
• Use of common and specialized tools, equipment and materials related to the work
• Applying and demonstration of proper methods and techniques in caring for and maintaining buildings/grounds
• Demonstrating, operating, and performing preventative maintenance on powered/non-powered grounds equipment and tools
• Layout, installation, repair and maintenance of automated irrigation systems
• Estimate, costing and order materials
• Read and interpret blueprints and schematics as it relates to buildings and related utilities services systems
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
• Establish and maintain positive interpersonal relationships
• Write reports and complete works regarding activities, transactions and progress covering a specific time period or project
• Determine equipment and materials needed
• Work with minimal supervision or guidance and make immediate decisions
Desired qualifications include any combination of experience, education and training that meets the knowledge, skills, and abilities described. Minimum 5 years of experience in the construction industry involving remodeling and new construction activities. Construction trades training; (Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical, etc).
• Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state issued driver's license. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver's license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete a required driver training (See Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12).
• In State travel required.
• Individual is required to pass a criminal background investigation.
• Requires the ability to achieve a favorable National Agency Check with investigation for the purpose of obtaining a Common Access Card (CAC).
The State of Arizona offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
• Sick leave
• Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
• Health and dental insurance
• Retirement plan
• Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
• Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Eligible DEMA employees participate in excellent retirement programs provided by the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) and for fire personnel the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System (PSPRS).
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact email@example.com.
DEMA is a smoke-free work environment.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation Employer
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.