This position performs routine to difficult tasks in building maintenance and repair in the following areas: grounds maintenance, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting, masonry, heating and cooling. Determines and recommends equipment and materials required, including cost analysis. Responsible for conducting preventative and corrective work to unit facilities. Inspects and performs preventative maintenance on a predetermined schedule, in support of the international pilot training program. Works under limited supervision of Physical Plant Supervisor. Works with and assists other tradesmen in completing required tasks.
• Perform tasks in grounds maintenance, building maintenance, repair and replacement work activities involving electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting, masonry, heating and cooling, and welding under the care of the AZ Air National Guard Civil Engineer Squadron. Demonstrate safety rules and ensure compliance with State, Federal, National and local building codes.
• Determine and recommend equipment and materials, including cost analysis. Review purchase order needs. Inspects equipment and material requests. Maintain inventory on items deemed mission essential to avoid downtime of equipment. Operate a sweeper on an active runway on a rotating shift and as needed.
• Coordinate work with vendors for assigned projects. Coordinate and work with Operations Management, Supervisors and other Maintenance staff on projects, and routine work. Review and evaluate work procedures and make recommendations for improvement.
• Maintain accurate records of equipment and material. Provide all necessary documentation prior, during, and after completion of assigned task.
• Inspect work areas to determine any problems or hazards to work functions. Takes appropriate action for resolution. Work with Operations Management for scheduling periodic service and repair.
• Tools, equipment, and materials used in the workplace.
• Blueprints, sketches, and structural components of buildings.
• Estimating, costing, and ordering supplies, and materials.
• Methods/practices of generalized preventative maintenance, repair, remodeling & construction of buildings.
• National and local codes.
• Federal and local safety laws, rules, and polices.
• Practices of generalized preventative maintenance, repair and remodeling & construction of buildings.
• Reading, understanding and interpreting blueprints, sketches, and schematics.
• Proper and safe use of common and specialized tools, equipment and materials.
• Understanding and applying National and local codes and common safety practices.
• Both written and oral communication.
• Diagnose/trouble shoot problems/malfunctions in a wide variety of mechanical, and electric equipment.
• Prioritize work projects. Read, interpret blueprints and other building schematics.
• Monitor parts inventories and work logs using a personal computer.
• Analyze costing of time and materials.
• Communicate effectively, both written and verbal.
• Analyze and determine proper use of maintenance and security tools, equipment, and materials.
• Pass Tucson International Airport training required for a SIDA badge.
• Operate a 2-way radio when sweeping an active runway.
Desired qualifications include any combination of experience, education and training that meets the knowledge, skills, and abilities described. 2 years’ experience in Building Maintenance or related field preferred.
• Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state issued driver's license. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver's license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete a required driver training (See Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12).
• In State travel required.
• Must meet all eligibility requirements to enter other federal installations such as Davis-Mothan Air Force Base and Fort Huachuca
• Candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background investigation as well as possess the ability to achieve a favorable Tier 1 investigation for the purpose of obtaining a Common Access Card (CAC) within one year of hire.
The State of Arizona offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
• Sick leave
• Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
• Health and dental insurance
• Retirement plan
• Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
• Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Eligible DEMA employees participate in excellent retirement programs provided by the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) and for fire personnel the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System (PSPRS).
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact email@example.com.
DEMA is a smoke-free work environment.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation Employer
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.