The Business Intelligence Analyst position involves designing, managing, and deploying data systems, reports, and dynamic dashboards, as well as training users in these systems and the use of reports. The Business Intelligence Analyst will also present analytic findings. This position is responsible for extracting data from multiple sources, manipulating and validating data, and conducting root cause analysis. The successful candidate should be comfortable performing the following: writing queries in SQL Management Studio, writing ETL’s in SSIS, developing analytical visualizations such as Tableau, Power BI, etc. and managing data systems development/enhancements projects.
This position is responsible for developing and maintaining software packages and databases used by the Safe Drinking Water Value Stream to determine Public Water System compliance with applicable rules of the Safe Drinking Water Act, individuals’ status within the Operator Certification Program, and systems’ status with the Monitoring and Assistance Program; responding to requests for data from within ADEQ and partnership agencies. This position coordinates efforts in allowing external access to data by the public at large, including public requests for data from ADEQ’s Records Office, and delegated authorities.
As the primary database and technical expert for the Safe Drinking Water Value Stream, this position also keeps abreast of emerging techniques and methods to better leverage technology within the section and facility data exchange between water systems, laboratories, and regulatory agencies. This position also will be responsible for maintaining and refining the Predictive Analytics program for the Agency.
● Acts as primary liaison between Information Technology department, Business Intelligence Team, and the Water
● Supports the organizations key business processes and applications and recommends business process redesign
● Works with key stakeholders to identify reporting needs, defines the reporting requirements, designs the report,
and writes the code required to deliver the report.
● Queries multiple data sources using SQL, develops ETLs, and produces analysis / reporting using data analysis and
visualization tools such as Tableau, R, Stata, Python, etc.
● Analyzes data and provides insights and recommendations for organizational planning and operations.
● Performs detailed quality control checks on significant and diverse data sets related to programs.
● Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively with
both both internal and external customers.
● Prepares and delivers informative, well-organized presentations and project status reviews to stakeholders including
process owners, customers, and stakeholders.
● Knowledge of current computing technologies and software applications such as SQL query language, and other database applications appropriate to the position’s job responsibilities.
● Experience with Business Intelligence and analytical applications such as Tableau, Power BI, SQL Server
Management Studio, Visual Studio.
● Knowledge of statistical and business analysis; business operations, methods, practices and workflow engineering.
● Knowledge of or ability to learn and apply LEAN concepts, principles and tools used to create and deliver the most
value from the customers perspective while consuming the fewest resources.
● Skill in providing technical assistance to business partners; performing analytic functions including workflow and
● Ability to promote the use of business intelligence to make effective business decisions; communicate verbally and in writing; to establish and maintain effective working relationships; collaborate with IT/BI and program staff to
achieve shared goals.
● A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Management or closely related field and 10 years of experience in a business intelligence or data analysis role.
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ASRS Lifetime Pension Benefits
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.