We have an excellent opportunity for a Chief Data and Analytics Officer to join our team!
The Chief Data and Analytics Officer (CDAO) is a business leader with a deep understanding of AZDEQ data and analytics as a business asset which must be governed and managed. Both AZDEQ data and analyses are leveraged to drive business insights, manage risk and deliver value. The AZDEQ CDAO will need to understand and relay complex data-related issues in an easy to understand manner to both technical and non-technical personnel. The AZDEQ CDAO will champion implementation of a data management framework based on industry-wide standards and drive strategic engagement of State Agencies, Boards and Commissions on data and information governance. The AZDEQ CDAO will also champion the business intelligence analytics effort across the agency.
The CDAO will report to the Agency Deputy Director and partner with business and technology leaders to establish policies, practices and organizational change to promote data sharing between agencies within limitations imposed by statutes and the regulatory environment. The CDAO will review and manage analyses conducted with agency data to ensure quality and appropriate methodologies are used.
The role requires strong leadership, collaboration and executive level communication and presentation skills, deep experience and proven success in leading major data projects, analyses, and information management initiatives.
• Knowledge of how to manage, analyze, and synthesize data to deliver insights and knowledge to support organizational decisions.
• Knowledge of the Data Management Systems.
• Knowledge of big data technology environments and infrastructure along with business process architecture.
• Knowledge of end-to-end data lifecycle and regulatory environment.
• Knowledge of the development and implementation of data strategy, including the development, communication and implementation of policies and frameworks.
• Strong risk management mindset.
• Ability to influence stakeholders and business executives so that data governance principles are included in the definition of strategic targets.
• Ability to operate at a strategic level while also embracing a roll up your sleeves attitude that gets the job done; to help define and articulate a strategic vision, and translate it into tactical implementable steps.
• Organizational and political agility with the ability to drive large cross functional programs involving coordination with multiple stakeholders, delivery organizations and teams.
• Bachelor or Master Degree in Finance, Business, Computer Science, Data science, Operations research, Management Information Systems (MIS) or other related field (advanced degree and certification in data management is a plus).
• Requires 15+ years of work experience in data management, analysis, IT field, with at least 5 years in a senior management position managing a team a team of GIS, Data Analytics and Data Governance professionals.
• Excellent organizational, problem-solving skills, leadership and execution skills.
• Strong project leadership and management skills to lead organizational change.
• Strategic decision-making skills with a high degree of latitude.
• An understanding of Lean Management Systems.
• Strong written and verbal communication.
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ASRS Lifetime Pension Benefit
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.