This position will serve as the Chief Information Officer of the Information Technology Office. The CIO will function as a senior executive for the Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) with primary responsibility for directing and leading all aspects of the technology program for ADEQ. They will manage and direct the Information Technology Office and aligns the organization's technology strategy and service delivery methods with ADEQ's business strategies and policy. The position will be responsible for all management aspects of the network infrastructure, cyber security, technical Service Desk, software development and database administration. This includes responsibilities for the systems infrastructure, data governance, architecture, development of strategic automation plan, continuous review of present delivery systems and methods and implementing new and revised systems to increase efficiency and reduce operating costs while ensuring customer satisfaction. Additional responsibilities include effectively managing and motivating 50+ staff including contractors with emphasis on professionalism, performance and delivering customer value.
• Demonstrated ability to identify opportunities and implement solutions to improve efficiency and reduce waste; apply strong knowledge and understanding of the principles, methods and techniques of process/quality improvement.
• Ability to identify unique innovative approaches and best practices across other external organizations and contributes to the development of functional strategy
• Ability to build constructive working relationships in high performing teams
• Bachelor or Master Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems (MIS), Business or other related field.
• Requires 10+ years of work experience in Information Technology with at least 5 years in an IT management role.
• Experience with the Arizona Management System (AMS) is helpful.
• Certification in Project Management, Scrum Master, Lean or ITIL is a plus.
• Strong business acumen and a solid foundation in information technology, including change management and project management experience and IT strategic plan development.
• Strong leadership skills to lead IT vision and the ability to execute decisions.
• Must be able to lead initiatives to develop solutions and processes to meet needs.
• Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills to maintain continuous focus on innovation and improvement.
• Strong customer service, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ASRS Lifetime Pension Plan
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.