Closing Date: 05/27/2022
The Arizona Department of Revenue is currently seeking a motivated, innovative and solutions driven individual to work as our new Collector 3. The new team member will collect delinquent tax (corporate, TPT, WTH tax, and Individual tax types) liabilities and returns through verbal and/or written contact, review financial documents to determine payment plans and/or enforced collections. Issuing of wages levies, bank levies, filing tax liens to attach to any personal or real property.
Recommend alternate course of resolution such as Field Collection for possible seizure of assets, Attorney General Referral for litigation or Audit referral. Maintain collection histories in a multi-faceted automated collection system. Work with professionals (accountants, tax professionals, and lawyers) as well as educating taxpayers. Conduct collection activities on difficult or complex cases.
Provide expertise and advice to subordinate staff as well as other internal customers as needed. Facilitate in the training of new hires. Act in the absence of the Collection Supervisor 3 in performing selected routine/basic personnel administrative tasks and special projects. This position will also be responsible for directing, leading and managing in the development, implementation, maintenance and evaluation of Lean Principles and Projects for the division.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Contact taxpayers through personal and written means to negotiate payment plans and enforced collection activities. File liens, serve subpoenas, implement levies to resolve cases. Review cases to determine proper course of action. Maintain collection histories through use of automated case management system.
• Conduct collection activities for difficult and complex cases. Provide expertise, help peers and provide temporary help as needed. Answer complex technical questions presented by lower level collectors, taxpayers and their representatives. Utilize tools and research issues to resolve complex cases.
• Conduct financial analysis of all tax types, via financial statements, income statements, balance sheets, profit and loss statements, and chase flow. Perform skiptrace investigations.
• Confer with taxpayers, accountants, attorneys on more complex case issues. Consult with the Attorney General's office for legal and technical advice and counsel. Speak before groups to communicate and build understanding and consensus for department policy.
• Leading in the development, implementation, maintenance and evaluation of Lean Principles and Projects for the division.
• State and federal tax collection laws, regulations and policies.
• Understanding accounting principles as well as investigative and research techniques, and business law.
• Working knowledge of real estate law and computerized information and case management agency tax information systems.
• Interpret and apply state and federal laws and regulations. Show considerable knowledge of alternate courses of action for the collection of debt knowledge of the applications of automated office systems and devices.
• Financial analyses of profit and loss statements, balance sheets, financial statements and income statements, collection techniques.
• Accurately interpret financial data and various information source formats. To analyze complex tax collection cases.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships, skills in applying agency policies and procedures.
• Principles and processes for providing customer service, including customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Analyze complex tax collection cases, to interpret and apply state and federal laws and regulations to negotiate complex agreements, to gather and preserve detailed information/evidence in preparing cases for civil and criminal proceedings.
• Effectively articulate both verbally and in writing.
• Analyze and resolve complex tax collection issues.
• Effectively operate and utilize automated systems (collection and informational); to accurately interpret financial data and various information source formats.
• Analyze complex tax collection cases and interpret and apply state and federal laws and regulations.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Learn and apply LEAN concepts, principles and tools used to create and deliver perspectives with fewest resources with continuous problem solving.
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
• Approximately 3 years of experience in a tax collection program or customer service experience preferred.
• Emphasizing administrative and judicial enforcement.
• Experience with Continuous improvement or LEAN is preferred
Candidates for this position will be required to submit Tax Filing Records, Employment Verification Check and Fingerprints that will be used to check criminal history records from the Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).
The State of Arizona provides a world class comprehensive benefits package including:
• Holidays – 10 paid per year. Sick Leave – 12 days per year. No accrual or carryover limits.
• A robust and affordable insurance plan that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability options.
• Up to $5,250 for tuition reimbursement available to seek further career advancement or certification in Continuing Professional Education.
• Work-life balance and additional options for life betterment such as the Infant at Work Program, Alternate Work Schedule and Telework opportunity.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
A top ranked Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) with 100% employer matched contributions (Enrollment eligibility will be effective after 27 weeks of employment).
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-716-6950.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.