If you’re looking to gain clinical experience while assisting inmates and offenders in making REAL changes in their lives, this may be the opportunity for you!
The Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation & Reentry (ADCRR) is seeking a Correctional Substance Abuse Counselor Senior, who will be responsible for clinically assessing and treating inmates. In addition, we are looking for our Substance Abuse Counselors to provide services to inmates in our modified therapeutic community with medication-assisted treatment.
- Delivers substance abuse education classes, conducts substance abuse therapy groups and one-on-one counseling sessions
- Provides guidance and leadership to Correctional Substance Abuse Counselors at the Associate or Technician levels
- Reviews and approves treatment plans submitted by Associate and Technician level Correctional Substance Abuse Counselors
- Completes intake assessment, DX, discharge summaries, treatment plans, and progress notes
- Provides clinical supervision for associate-level counselors who are licensed through the Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners.
- Travels on state business
- Performs other duties appropriate to the assignment
- Drives on State business
- Addiction and treatment practices and protocol
- Counseling, teaching and facilitation techniques
- Adult learning processes
- Security practices
- Personal computers and various software programs (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Methods and practices of classroom teaching
- Interpersonal relationships
- Oral and written communications
- Organizational and time management
- Teaching techniques
- Active listening
- Attention to detail/observation
- Effectively deliver program curriculum in a classroom environment
- Interact professionally with inmates in a group setting and one-on-one situations
- Interact professionally with security staff and the public
- Work in a secured prison environment
- Apply Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation & Reentry (ADCRR) policy and procedures
- Collect and maintain statistical data
- Work as a team member
Prefer Independent level license
- Employment is contingent on the selected applicant passing a background investigation and a drug test*.
- Must be licensed by the Arizona Department of Behavioral Health Examiners as an Associate or Independent Clinician.
This position requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver's license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver's license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.).
We offer an excellent and affordable comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees:
- Vacation and sick days with 10 paid holidays per year
- Robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability options
- Exceptional retirement program
- Optional employee benefits such as deferred compensation plans, credit union membership, and a wellness program
- An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
Additional INCENTIVES for this classification:
- Paid license renewals
- Manageable caseloads (60)
- Paid conferences and workshops when possible
- Evidenced based group curriculum
- Closed groups
- Minimal paperwork and no billing
- Ability to be creative in using evidenced based practices
- Ability to be part of program development opportunities
- Ability to help ADCRR achieve its goal of reducing recidivism by 25% in 10 years
- Ability to receive clinical supervision for independent licensure
- Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation & Reentry prison complexes are approved sites for the National Health Service Corps Substance Use Disorder Workforce Loan Repayment Program (up to 75,000 in repayment for 3 years of employment). For more information go to:
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
Enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment.
Current ADCRR Employees: Consult with your respective Human Resources Liaison if you are in a different retirement plan than the one indicated above.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-255-2430.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.