• The Deputy Associate Superintendent of Data Governance serves as the lead for data quality, management, and integrity regarding the Department's federal, state, and local data collection and reporting requirements
• As a supervisor, this position will have duties including, but not limited to: oversee and direct daily work activities; conduct regular one-on-one meetings; provide coaching, mentoring and discipline as necessary; administer performance evaluations; manage schedules and leave requests; hire and train staff.
• In-state and out-of-state travel is required for this position.
• Work closely with Information Technology, all programs, and senior leaders within the agency to gather, report, and develop best practices for the strategic use of data within and across the agency
• Work with programs to provide support and suggestions on data improvement for validity and integrity, including driving actionable insights in program efficiency and effectiveness
• Oversees the development, implementation, and maintenance of an electronic documentation system to track and manage data governance across the agency, including both assets, workflows, and problem escalation
• The system will provide at least the following information: Data Identification, Data Ownership (hierarchy provided if applicable), Data Source, Data Quality, Data Reliability, Data Lifecycle, Data Accessibility, and more
• Documentation will include historical development of data, and will identify consistent standards to be used in concert with national best practices and tools like CEDS and Ed-Fi
• Manage and collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Data Governance staff to provide the knowledge, background, availability, and reliability of agency data directly to programs and leadership to ensure that programs are aware of data resources and tools, and that they are taking full advantage of the data they have access to
• Work closely with the Program Evaluation Senior Research Scientist to identify appropriate data for program evaluations, public record requests, and agency data requests
• Will supervise the Data Governance team to ensure all proper documentation is provided for data governance, data requests, and outgoing public data sets
Please note: For those selected for interviews, skills assessments may be administered as part of the interview process.
• Data Governance principles, including methods for management over consistent classification, quality, privacy, security, integration, and retention of data
• Statistical theory and methodology
• Exposure to tools used to support data management, specifically business glossary and meta data management, data profiling, and data quality
• Leadership/management experience, including knowing how to lead teams of people and improve systems across organizational silos
• Position requires supervisory experience (graduates of ADE’s Aspiring Leaders program may be considered in lieu of supervisory experience).
• Strong skills in writing and presenting complex data for knowledgeable and lay audiences
• Efficient and effective communication skills
• Intermediate skill in using Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
• Maintain relationships with clients and partner organizations
• Strong leader with the ability to influence organizations, oversee people, and improve systems
• Manage multiple projects and meet simultaneous deadlines, including projects and initiatives across multiple teams and function areas
• Oversee development on large-scale initiatives
• Advance several projects simultaneously
• Manage time and be self-motivated to execute appropriate projects by deadlines
• Preference will be given to those applicants with a master's degree in Educational Leadership, Public Administration, Data Science or Analytics, Business Administration, or in a related field.
• Position requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.).
• Offers are contingent upon successful completion of all background and reference checks, required documents and, if applicable, a post-offer medical/physical evaluation.
ADE’s comprehensive benefits package includes:
• Affordable medical, dental, life, and short-term disability insurance plans
• Tuition reimbursement program available for education/professional development advancement
• Hybrid schedule (combination of telework and in-office) may be available for some job roles
• Top ranked retirement and long-term disability plans
• Deferred compensation plan
• Accrued sick leave and vacation leave
• Ten paid holidays per year
• Wellness plans
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
You will be required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) upon your 27th week of employment, subject to waiting period. On or shortly after, your first day of employment you will be provided with enrollment instructions and effective date.
The Arizona Department of Education is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. During all phases of the selection process, people with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation, such as a sign language interpreter, by contacting the ADE Human Resources office at (602) 542-3186 or via e-mail at HumanResourcesGroup@azed.gov.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.