The Deputy Communications Director provides deliverables and strategic guidance to elected officials, Chief of Staff and Communications Director regarding external and internal messaging and media to promote the work of the Arizona House Democrats.
Applicants must have strong writing and social media skills, with multi-media capabilities (video, photography and graphic design) a definite plus, as well as ability to plan and staff events.
The ideal candidate will be proactive and work well in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, identifying media opportunities, and helping grow the Caucus’ media footprint.
• Work with Communication Director to develop and implement weekly and long-term strategic communications plans, strategic messaging around specific legislation, and our digital strategy
• Search out and embrace new technology and best practices to promote innovative and engaging Caucus communications
• Conceptualize and produce high-quality deliverables exhibiting a strong visual style, graphic design, and video editing
• Organize and coordinate press conferences and media events, community/stakeholder meetings and townhalls
• Brief members of the public on legislative process and impact of potential legislation
• Act as media liaison between members of the caucus and members of the press
• Monitor legislative committees for messaging and earned media opportunities
• Draft accurate and compelling talking points on key issues and legislation
• Track social media and traditional media analytics and generate analysis
• Monitor national and local media coverage of legislation and politics
• Management and growth of social media channels and website
• Draft accurate and compelling press releases and media alerts
• Develop and maintain working relationships with press
• Draft or edit op-eds on behalf of members
• Respond to media inquiries
• 1-3 years of experience working with high-profile public officials
• Minimum of 3 or more years of communications experience
• Knowledge of Arizona and local political landscape
• Understanding of digital media channels
• Spanish speaking
The State of Arizona offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
• Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
• Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
• Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
• Health and dental insurance
• Retirement plan
• Sick leave
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
• Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
• Please note that enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment
• If you have any questions please feel free to contact Carme Velarde at email@example.com for assistance
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.