The Department of Economic Security, Division of Benefits and Medical Eligibility, specifically the Disability Determinations Services Administration (DDSA) is seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to join our team as a Disability Determination Specialist Advanced. This is not a Virtual Position.
This position is responsible for:
- Quality review and assessment of Social Security Administration (SSA) Disability decisions, for all Social Security Disability claims
- Conducts ongoing reviews on all types of cases pulled by random sample
- Does high risk reviews, and provides recommendations for improvement
- Provides positive reinforcement on case issues done well following program policy
and on cases actions that reinforce those behaviors that lead to a quality product
- May also perform as a Cooperative Disability Investigation Liaison to SSA-OIG due to their level of expertise in the disability determination program
- Knowledge of the provisions of the Social Security Administration concerning eligibility for disability benefits
- Knowledge of program policies and procedures
- Knowledge of various types of injuries, illnesses and diseases and their effects on functional abilities
- Knowledge of medical terminology, procedures for collecting and analyzing information
- Knowledge of interviewing techniques
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws regarding confidentiality of personal information and procedures for obtaining and disclosing information
- Knowledge of various systems software applications that interface with Social Security Administration national systems and of the electronic disability process system
- Knowledge of analytical and evaluation methods and techniques
- Skill in Excellent writing dexterities to prepare detailed analyses of case facts, including medically determinable impairment(s)
- Skill in case development and case management skills, with particular emphasis on meeting processing time and quality standards
- Ability to Work with clients of diverse backgrounds, document customer services using personal computer software, travel to different locations within assigned area
- Ability to analyze medical information concerning various types of illnesses, injuries or diseases and related treatments
- Ability to collect information concerning an individual’s functional abilities, employment, education and other factors
- Ability to develop and manage case files as well as evaluate various physical and mental impairments
- Ability to organize and prioritize a disability caseload
- Ability to communicate effectively and to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to Provide consultation to others in the application of various policies and guidelines
- Ability to perform special studies and program analysis
-Bachelor's degree; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
-Four years of professional or technical Disability Determination 3 experience in the adjudication of Social Security disability claims.
-In state travel is required. Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.). Employees may be required to use their own transportation as well as maintaining valid motor vehicle insurance and current Arizona vehicle registration; however, mileage will be reimbursed.
-HSPD-12 Background/Fingerprinting Security Clearance:
Please be advised that all hires, transfers, and current employees within DBME Disability Determination Service Administration are subject to mandatory fingerprinting and an associated FBI background investigation by the Social Security Administration under Homeland Security Presidential Directive-12. Not all prior arrests and/or convictions will prohibit appointment.
The Arizona Department of Economic Security offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
- Career Advancement & Employee Development Opportunities
- Flexible schedules to create a work/life balance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Stipend Opportunities
- Infant at Work Program
- Affordable Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Life and Disability Insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
State employees are required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS), the State sponsored retirement contribution plan and the Long-Term Disability (LTD) program after a 27-week waiting period. The ASRS defined benefit plan provides for life-long income upon retirement. You will also have the option to participate in a voluntary deferred compensation program to take advantage of tax-deferred retirement investments.
On, or shortly after, your first day of work you will be provided with additional information about the available insurance plans, enrollment instructions, submission deadlines and effective dates.
For questions about this career opportunity, please call, Jason Hamm at (520) 235-1130 or JHamm@azdes.gov.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 520-235-1130. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.