The Disaster Recovery Specialist I (DRS I) serves in a part time, on-call, as-needed position. The Disaster Recovery Specialist position assists communities who suffer damages due to disasters. Performs administrative functions in the Public Assistance's mission of assisting jurisdictions in their recovery and communicates with local community members and political leaders to ensure procedural rules are followed.
Personally prepares for any time (24/7) response and no-notice recall to the State or Alternate Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) and / or Joint Field Office (JFO) during disaster or exercise activations. Trains for specific SEOC positions and performs duties as assigned through internal agency policy.
● Monitors and tracks key documentation and correspondence to and from applicants. Creates and maintains both physical and electronic files. Submits documentation for auditing purposes.
● Variety of key programmatic administrative functions.
● Conducts and documents correspondence with applicants and DEMA staff.
● Coordinating logistical arrangements for field personnel.
● Preparation of material for presentations and outreach.
● Processes and procedures utilized in delivering the Public Assistance program.
● Laws, rules and regulations related to disaster recovery and the Public Assistance program.
● Preparation of reports and material for presentations and outreach; and a variety of key programmatic administrative functions.
● Verbal and written communication, communicating effectively with co-workers and recovery applicants.
● Use of a personal computer, including composing correspondence, building/maintaining spreadsheets, navigating the internet, and communicating by email.
● Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Acrobat, Google Meets.
● Monitoring and tracking key documentation and correspondence to and from applicants; coordinating logistical arrangements for field personnel.
● Listen effectively and take action based on communication received.
● Establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with coworkers, and recovery applicants.
● Multitask and manage time efficiently.
● Maintain accurate and orderly records, including hard copy files and e-files using Microsoft application.
Desired qualifications include any combination of experience, education, and training that meets the knowledge, skills, and abilities as described. Preference given those with experience in Public Assistance and/or customer service experience.
Special Job Requirements:
● Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid State of Arizona driver’s license. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver's license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.)
● In-State travel is required.
● Individual is required to pass a criminal background investigation.
● Must meet all eligibility requirements to enter other federal installations.
This position is not eligible for State benefits.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Eligible DEMA employees participate in excellent retirement programs provided by the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) and for fire personnel the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System (PSPRS).
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact email@example.com.
DEMA is a smoke-free work environment.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation Employer
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.