The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Health Care Economist-3, Grade 22, in the Budget Section. The position is responsible for forecasting and monitoring AHCCCS programmatic expenditures of over $17 billion annually. It works under the direction of the Budget Administrator. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Develop and manage caseload, utilization, rate, and capitation projections for multiple complex programmatic areas.
• Create and maintain financial and budget models, analyses, and databases.
• Develop programmatic components of the AHCCCS Annual Budget Request to be submitted to the Executive and Legislature.
• Provide consultative and technical support to agency staff, the Governor’s Office of Strategic Planning and Budgeting (OSPB), the Joint Legislative Budget Committee (JLBC), and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
• Independently research difficult economic and statistical problems or projects.
• Monitor and communicate any potential budget issues and recommended solutions.
• Experience with econometrics and/or data science. Adept in creating and maintaining complex datasets/pivots using Access databases, Excel, and similar. Experience using data warehouse query languages and SQL.
• Knowledge of systems software programming practices, data conversion, economic principles, statistical analytical methods, and interpretation of complex statistical methodologies.
• Advanced research skills, including research project planning, economic trend analysis and forecasting using statistical software such as SAS, development of data analytic tool sets, primary and secondary data collection, complex statistical applications, data analysis, and interpretation.
• Skills in collection and synthesis of information from multiple data sources, quantitative analysis, and communication of methodologies and recommendations in graphical, written, and oral forms.
• Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in economics or a related field and four years experience doing economic research work; OR a Master's degree in economics or a related field and two years experience in economic work.
• Adept knowledge of pivot tables in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access databases, write and present complex queries and data graphically.
• Knowledge of Health Care Managed Care practices and concepts.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.