The Elections Technology & Security Analyst supports the Elections Technology Manager in overseeing the daily maintenance and security of the statewide voter registration database and all necessary components while working in conjunction with contracted vendor(s) that dually support the systems as well as providing necessary support to users of the systems. This position also provides coordination between the IT and Elections Divisions, with a primary focus on ensuring security of the States' election systems, including the statewide voter registration database, Election Night Reporting ("ENR"), Election Management System ("EMS"), campaign finance reporting and disclosure system, and other technology and web-based solutions.
This position is open to remote work, but the position may require occasional in-office time during peak election season.
- Work closely with Elections Technology Manager to support, install, monitor, and direct proactive and reactive measures to ensure the availability, integrity, confidentiality, and reliability of the Arizona Voter Information Database (AVID) as well as other programs/components of the system.
- Monitor the SOS AVID help desk for troubleshooting and resolving issues related to the statewide voter registration system; work closely with system vendor and system users to address program issues, defects, and system upgrades. Monitor and manage user accounts for statewide voter registration system as well as security and licensing systems/configurations that work jointly with the system.
- Assist counties with proper use of voter registration system and system integrations. Develop, maintain, and provide for regular training (new and refresh) of all components of the statewide voter registration system and necessary applications, including security best practices. Work with Elections Technology Manager and software vendor to maintain a current AZ specific user guide for the system.
- Become familiar with election security best practices across all stages of the election process and support Secretary of State election security initiatives, including auditing systems and interfaces and supporting penetration testing; assist with maintaining two-factor authentication for AVID and serve as county liaison for management of security tokens; assist in developing handbooks for election security best practices.
- Serve as liaison for Elections and IT Divisions for election-related IT projects, including establishing and meeting project timelines and deadlines, managing staff and vendors, providing design mock-ups, and providing regular updates and feedback to upline managers. Troubleshoot technical problems, and ensure Secretary of State's elections systems, including E-Qual and the Request to Speak system, function properly for users. Regularly update election services website to accommodate frequently changing legislative requirements and informational demands.
- Assist with the Secretary of State's election equipment certification committee. Become familiar with voting equipment and Secretary of State's guidelines on voting equipment standards and processes. Remain up-to-date with federal guidelines and new technology. Assist with voting equipment logic & accuracy (L&A) testing.
- Other duties as assigned as related to the position.
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Basic familiarity with election law and procedure and/or desire to become knowledgeable.
- Computer programs including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Project, and Outlook
- Excellent Customer service/support skills
- Expertise in applying project management tools and techniques to define the program goals, develop and execute a plan to meet those goals, effectively and efficiently utilize all resources, implement risk management assessments, apply change management plans as needed, provide required deliverables on time, meet milestones including the established end date of each project
- Effective at presenting to an audience
- Effective trainer/teacher
- Fluent and comfortable using computer hardware and software
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to balance, prioritize, and organize multiple tasks
- Excellent direct written and oral communication
- Ability to work effectively with government employees and the public in a team environment
- Forward thinking and always looking for technological improvements
- Comfort working on non-technical projects, if assigned
- Strong work ethic
- Attention to detail
- Ability to energize and engage a group of system users for training purposes
- Ability to travel within the state on an occasional basis
- Bachelor's degree or specialized training in web application design
- Ability to understand raw data files, and ability to advise how to find and extract data
- Valid AZ Driver's License
- Obtain Arizona Election Official Certification within 2 years of employment
The Arizona Department of Administration offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
Health and dental insurance
Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
All employees are subject to Arizona State Retirement System contributions.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 602-541-6170 for assistance.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.