The Environmental Engineering Specialist will be responsible for reviewing and evaluating environmental permit applications, reports, facility designs, plans and cost estimates in accordance to Arizona Rules and Regulations. This position will includes, research, design, plan and perform engineering duties in the prevention, control and remediation of environmental hazards using various engineering disciplines. This position will have an understanding of the mechanics and operations of wastewater treatment facilities. Will have the option to telework or work remotely.
• Provide technical assistance to the regulated community, staff, and the public in regards to public water system treatment technologies, operations and maintenance
• Participate in site visits, data collection, inspections and investigations at public wastewater systems, groundwater, onsite systems
• Utilize Lean concepts to drive ongoing continuous improvement
• Review and approve environmental permit applications for groundwater systems including design reports, construction plans, analytical data and cost estimates
• Perform engineering calculations for effluent flow, pressure, velocity, storage capacity, etc.
• Develop environmental guidance documents, policies and outreach material
• Knowledge of environmental engineering standards and practices
• Ability to review and evaluate Proprietary Products for applicants seeking product approval
• Ability to problem solve and attention to detail
• Ability to develop and write technical documentation
• Bachelor’s degree in Environmental, Civil, or Chemical Engineering, along with two (2) years of experience. Masters’ degree may substitute for 2 years of experience.
• Requires 2 years’ experience, Engineering in Training preferred
• Ability to travel state-wide 30% of the time
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.