We have an immediate opening for an Environmental Science Specialist 1-2. In this role, you will review information and conduct on-site inspections for the purpose of assessing compliance with Arizona environmental statutes and rules, as well as permits issued by ADEQ. Using knowledge of various scientific disciplines you may collect, synthesize, study, report, and recommend action based on data and information derived from the inspections.
• Knowledge/experience with risk, facilities or field project management, and environmental compliance
• OSHA Hazmat certification (recommended)
• Strong customer skills
• Knowledge of solid waste, compliance and enforcement strategies, State and Federal environmental regulations, environmental sciences and research, AZ sources of pollution, best practices for preventing the release of pollutants, environmental research, investigation techniques and statistical analysis, Agency policies and processes
• Ability to develop strong relationships with Solid waste facilities, property owners, concerned citizens, governmental agencies and the public
• Ability to follow guidance documents, standard operating procedures, and other technical instructions in performance of tasks; to prepare clear, concise and accurate reports; and to summarize completed tasks and/or monitoring data orally and in written communication; excellent written verbal/written communications, problem solving, strong meeting facilitation skills
• Bachelor’s degree in environmental/chemical/industrial/mechanical engineering, environmental science, hydrology or chemistry
• Level 2: Requires 2 years’ experience
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ASRS Lifetime Pension Benefits
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.