As an Environmental Science Specialist, you will be responsible for conducting compliance assistance activities for the UST (underground Storage Tank) unit, including reviewing pre-inspection compliance documentation, conducting outreach to the UST owners/operators, provide compliance assistance in the field or from the office on UST rules and improve compliance throughout the state of Arizona, responding to customer concerns regarding USTs, active problem solving and strong stakeholder collaboration and assisting with compliance case work as necessary.
Knowledge of UST state and federal rules and statutes, and the ability to effectively communicate requirements and standards to customers of all experience and knowledge levels
• Knowledge of Agency policies and processes, State and Federal environmental regulations, environmental sciences and research, AZ sources of pollution, best practices for preventing the release of pollutants, environmental research, investigation techniques and statistical analysis
• Ability to understand and apply environmental rules and statues; to follow guidance documents, standard operating procedures, and other technical instructions in performance of tasks; to prepare clear, concise and accurate reports; and to summarize completed tasks and/or monitoring data orally and in written communication
• Experience in project management, MS Office, customer service/outreach and aptitude for problem solving desired.
Ideal candidate will possess:
• Bachelor’s degree in environmental/chemical engineering, environmental/earth science, environmental management/studies, and/or sustainability
• 0-1 year experience for level 1
• 2 years’ experience for level 2
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ASRS Lifetime Pension Benefits
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.