As an Environmental Science Specialist, you will support our Solid Waste inspectors and permit writers with compliance and enforcement at regulated SW facilities in Arizona, providing compliance assistance in the field or from office on SW rules and improve compliance throughout the state of Arizona, conducting outreach to the Solid Waste facility owners/operators, conducting compliance assistance site visits to new owners/operations and customers with open compliance conditions, review available information, use scientific principles, for the purpose of assessing compliance with Arizona statutes and rules, create compliance documentation and assisting with compliance management.
• Knowledge of Agency policies and processes, interpret State and Federal environmental regulations, environmental sciences and research, AZ sources of pollution, best practices for preventing the release of pollutants, environmental research, investigation techniques and statistical analysis
• Ability to understand and apply environmental rules and statues; to follow guidance documents, standard operating procedures, and other technical instructions in performance of tasks; to prepare clear, concise and accurate reports; and to summarize completed tasks and/or monitoring data orally and in written communication
• Experience in project management, MS Office, customer service/outreach and aptitude for problem solving desired.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to schedule, conduct and manage multiple projects at the same time
• Bachelor’s degree in environmental/chemical engineering, environmental/earth science, environmental management/studies, and/or sustainability.
• Level 2: Requires 2 years’ experience
• Level 3: Requires 5 years’ experience
• Level 4: Requires 8 years’ experience
• Masters degree may substitute for 2 years of experience, Doctorate for 4 years for Level 3 & 4
• Level 3 & 4 requires an Environmental Professional in Training/Associate Qualified Environmental Professional certification or professional certification through an accredited institution
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.