AIR QUALITY DIVISION
We have an immediate opening for an Environmental Scientist Specialist in our Air Quality Division. In this role, you will Conduct research or perform investigation for the purpose of identifying, abating, or eliminating sources of pollutants or hazards that affect either the environment or the health of the population. Using knowledge of various scientific disciplines, may collect, synthesize, study, report, and recommend action based on data derived from measurement or observations of air, soil, water, and other sources.
• Review environmental air quality data, including ambient air concentrations and meteorological conditions to ensure data quality and to determine source identification.
• Assist in the development of standard operating procedures and quality assurance plans.
• Provide technical assistance to instrument operators to ensure compliance with quality assurance plans.
• Develop data assessments and reports from air quality monitoring for long term trends and short term studies.
• Investigate environmental problem areas, respond to environmental complaints, recommend reasonable measures and issue reports as needed.
• Knowledge of agency policies and processes including County, State and/or Federal air quality regulations; Arizona’s sources of air pollution, techniques and practices for preventing and remediating the release of air pollutants; and environmental enforcement processes
• Strong customer service skills; ability to understand and interpret air quality rules, statutes and permits; ability to prepare clear, concise and accurate reports and compliance documentation; de-escalation and negotiation skills in the context of environmental enforcement; and excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
• Bachelor’s degree in environmental science/studies/technology, earth sciences, statistics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, environmental management, chemical/environmental engineering.
• 0-2 years’ experience for level 1
• 2 years’ experience for level 2
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ASRS Lifetime Pension Plan
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.