At ADEQ our vision is to be the number one state in the nation in balanced, leading-edge environmental protection; through technical and operational excellence; and radical simplicity for customers and staff. We are currently looking for employees who are committed to our Agency, passionate to excel in their career and engaged in our mission. Only this caliber of employee will be successful in driving our Agency towards accomplishing our vision.
The Environmental Science Specialist (Drinking Water Inspector) will be responsible for inspecting Public Water Systems (PWSs) throughout Arizona to ensure compliance with the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA). The inspection will require conducting a file review, researching permits, assessing monitoring history and conducting an onsite visit. The position will require writing compliance documentation based on deficiencies found during an inspection. Furthermore, the position will require responding to customer complaints about water quality. Additional duties as assigned.
Do you think you have the combination of commitment, passion, and talent to help drive this Agency to realizing our vision? If so, apply today. To learn more about us, our organizational habits known as the ADEQ Way, our culture, and other positions we have open, visit us at DEQ/careers
• Gmail, Google Meets, Google Drive, Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.
• LEAN management/ Arizona Management System (results-driven management system focusing on customer service, transparency and accountability and continuous improvement)
• Knowledge of Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) and state regulations
Skills and Abilities:
• Experience as a certified operator in water distribution and/or treatment is desirable.
• Experience as an inspector of public water systems is desirable.
• Self-motivated with the ability to complete tasks without direct supervision.
• Problem solving skills and attention to detail.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to balance, prioritize, and organize multiple tasks.
• Ability to prepare clear, concise and accurate reports and to summarize completed tasks.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Environmental Science/Management, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental/Civil Engineering, Hydrology, Geology, Sustainability, or Business Management
• Level 1: Requires no experience
• Level 2: two (2) years of relevant experience
• Level 3: five (5) years of relevant experience
• At Level 3, a Masters’ degree in related field may substitute for 2 years’ experience, Doctorate 4 years’ experience
• Project Management
• The position is approximately 40% work from home and 60% in the field/office
• Pertinent training such as military or trade schooling may be evaluated for equivalency with college level coursework.
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ASRS Lifetime Benefits
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.