As an Environmental Technician, this position performs field tests to monitor the environment and investigate sources of pollution, including those that affect health. We will rely on you to set up and collect ambient air samples, calibrate and test air monitoring instruments, perform data collections checks, and use troubleshooting techniques to repair instruments.
• Works approximately 50% in the field conducting hands-on instrument maintenance / service, verifications, calibration, and completion of all required service logs, field sheets and documentation in accordance with SOP’s, QAPP’s and the EPA QA Handbook.
• Conduct remote air monitoring site visits for assigned sites according to the EPA schedule and ADEQ QAPP’s. An understanding of the operation of the air monitoring sites including; ambient air monitoring instruments, meteorological instruments, data acquisition, sample setup and retrieval and all other auxiliary equipment.
• Data verification for continuous and manual instruments. Review of data using: reports, graphs, charts or linier databases to identification of outliers, malfunctions or anomalies.
• Documentation and completion of: electronic field sheets, site logs, instrument logs, instrument change out sheets, chain of custody, vehicle logs, travel logs and sample shipping.
• Responds to customer inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
• Performs or leads projects under direction of a unit lead or manager.
• Knowledge and/or experience in environmental technology, mechanical engineering or electrical technician.
• The ability to operate, maintain and calibrate environmental monitoring equipment; collect representative environmental samples according to standard operating procedures; follow guidance documents.
• Knowledge of and/or experience in gaseous and particulate instrumentation, Auto-GC, communication equipment, quality assurance and control, and data entry using relational databases; existing and new environmental monitoring techniques and equipment; methodologies and techniques for collecting environmental data including the design and function of environmental monitoring equipment and State and Federal environmental regulations.
• Associate's degree or higher with 1-3 years of experience conducting environmental monitoring or a Bachelors degree in Environmental Sciences, Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Technician with no experience.
• Bilingual (English & Spanish) and hold a valid passport is helpful.
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ASRS Lifetime Benefit Pension Plan
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.