The Drinking Water Monitoring and Protection Unit (DWMPU) is dedicated to prevention and mitigation of sites exceeding the national health standards, increasing outreach and training for both Public Water System owners and operators, and maintaining compliance with the Safe Drinking Water rules.
As an Environmental Scientist, you will focus on DWMPU’s primary objectives, as well as work with your assigned Public Water Systems to maintain compliance with the Safe Drinking Water Act, assist in any water outages, boil water advisories, or exceedances above the specified maximum contaminant levels. To be effective in this role, you must believe in the ADEQ way and have a passion for the environment and our agency mission. You will be a team contributor and must understand our role as the state regulatory agency is to protect human health and the environment.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to schedule, conduct and manage multiple projects at the same time
• Knowledge of State and Federal environmental regulations, environmental sciences and research, AZ sources of pollution, best practices for preventing the release of pollutants, environmental research, investigation techniques and statistical analysis, Agency policies and processes,
• Bachelor’s degree in hydrology, geology, environmental engineering/sciences/management, chemistry, law or sustainability preferred
• Level 1: 0-1 years’ lab/field experience
• Level 2: 2 years’ lab/field experience
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ASRS Lifetime Pension Plan
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.