This position is eligible for a $5,000 hiring incentive.
Professional in the job family with comprehensive knowledge of theories, practices, and procedures. Continues to build experience within the field. Develops competence by performing structured work assignments. Uses existing prescribed guidelines or policies to analyze and resolve problems.
This position serves as an intermediate-level professional epidemiologist responsible for carrying out a complex range of investigative and analytical epidemiologic activities related to the surveillance, detection, and prevention of diseases and injuries. Works independently, or as an experienced team or project member, providing epidemiologic expertise for specific programs or more complex individual epidemiologic analyses, under the direction of higher-level staff. This position is also responsible for HIV integrated plan, Ending the HIV Epidemic, and hepatitis C elimination planning monitoring, data analysis, and reporting. This position will also be responsible for data and epidemiological demonstration projects and Health Resources and Services Administration Special Projects of National Significance in Arizona managed by ADHS.
This level of epidemiologic work includes:
-- Developing and designing methods of collecting, analyzing, and disseminating data requires a general, and in some cases specific, understanding of program processes and methods for prevention, intervention, and control of public health problems;
-- Conducting epidemiologic studies and outbreak investigations used in preventing and controlling specific communicable and chronic diseases, injuries, and other health conditions;
-- Implementing quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods for public health practice;
-- Performing statistical analyses related to complex analytical investigations involving highly specialized scientific data;
-- Applying findings to direct public health programs and recommend interventions and/or control measures;
-- Interpreting and recommending evidence-based interventions and/or control measures in response to epidemiologic findings;
-- Identifying and evaluating a wide range of health conditions within an assigned program;
-- Conducting literature reviews for program planning, preparation of publications, and evaluation;
-- Contributing to the development of and providing scientific and clinical guidance and technical assistance to various public, private, and nonprofit health and health-related state and local agencies and organizations;
-- Serving as a scientific consultant for a public health program or project;
-- Participating in internal and external committees and workgroups related to areas of expertise;
-- Participating in after-hours activities including partner meetings, investigations, outbreak and emergency responses, as needed; and
-- Participating in writing grants and other funding proposals.
May provide technical leadership and guidance and coordinate work of epidemiologists, other professional staff, or technical and administrative staff, as assigned.
Employees will be expected to make independent decisions and judgments based on their educational and professional experience and training; this position maintains and shares information and data of a very confidential nature.
-Conducts investigative and analytical epidemiologic tasks about surveillance, detection, and prevention of disease and injuries.
-Interprets epidemiologic data and applies findings to direct public health programs and recommends interventions or control measures.
-Participates in coordinating or conducting outbreak and epidemiologic investigations.
-Performs statistical analyses related to complex analytical investigations involving highly specialized scientific data.
-May contribute to developing and providing scientific and clinical guidance to public, private, and nonprofit health, and health-related agencies and organizations.
-Participates in after-hours activities including partner meetings, investigation, outbreak, and emergency response as needed. Participates in writing grants and other funding proposals.
- Advanced communication skills; oral and written.
- Contemporary principles and practices of epidemiology.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), state and local privacy laws.
- Computerized database management, data analysis, and program evaluation.
- Performance Management (PM), and Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI), and Lean methodologies.
- Research methods, procedures, and techniques used in identifying and evaluating the health of populations, their characteristics, contemporary medical methods and practices, proper principles and procedures when conducting health or determinants surveillance, and epidemiologic investigations.
- Use critical thinking to determine whether a public health problem exists, and articulate the need for further investigation or other public health action on statutes, rules, policy, and potential health impact.
- Collaborate with others.
- Investigate acute and chronic conditions.
- Analyze and interpret data from surveillance and investigations and recommend evidence-based interventions and control measures in response to findings.
- Support a diverse multi-cultural workforce that reflects the community, promotes equal opportunity at all levels of public employment, and creates an inclusive work environment that enables all individuals to perform to their fullest potential free from discrimination.
MPH/MSPH or masters in epidemiology, biostatistics, informatics, or public health with 2 years of relevant epidemiology experience. Preference is given to accredited universities and/or Schools of Public Health. Experience using statistical software, working with the different levels of the US health care system and public health system, and working with electronic public health surveillance databases.
• Employees who drive on state business require possession of and the ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license checks, must maintain acceptable driving records, and must complete any driver training (See Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.11).
The State of Arizona provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package including:
− Affordable medical and dental insurance plans
− Paid vacation and sick time
− 10 paid holidays per year
− Wellness program and plans
− Life insurance
− Short/long-term disability insurance
− Defined retirement plan
− Award-winning Infant at Work program
− Credit union membership
− Transit subsidy
− ADHS Student Assistance Pilot Program
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
• To help you build a financially secure future, the State makes monthly contributions to finance your retirement benefit. The State will contribute to the ASRS in an amount equal to your contribution. In other words, you and the State will each pay 50% of the total cost of the benefit. New State employees have a 27-week wait period for contributions to begin.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 542-1085. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. DHS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.