These continuous improvement initiatives may include, but not be limited to, safety, efficiency, quality, productivity, morale, and/or cost. This position will be expected to support the value-added delivery of quality products and services to internal and external customers.
This position will also be expected to develop the problem-solving and process improvement knowledge of leaders and team members to ensure ongoing sustainment of continuous improvement without the required knowledge of a lean coach/consultant.
● Facilitates and coaches teams in the field (live and virtual) on continuous improvement initiatives including, but not limited to, kaizen events and process mapping (swim lane mapping, metric-based process mapping, etc.) with the end goal of providing improved customer service to customers. Coaches teams on countermeasure development, implementation planning, and follow-up. Coaches the development of quantifiable metrics and their evaluation after countermeasure implementation.
● Coaches DOR division/office leadership (e.g., Deputy Assistant Directors, Administrators, Managers, etc.) on the application of Arizona Management System (AMS)/lean tools and principles so these leaders can subsequently coach their teams. Engages leaders and teams to quantifiably improve safety, quality, productivity, morale, and/or cost to improve value and service to customers (internal and external).
● Develops internal AMS/lean training materials and related "best practice" documents as part of standardized virtual (electronic) "tool kits" tailored to DOR. Leads and coordinates training (including "train the trainer") and coaching (one to one, team) to support AMS & lean principles and tools. This includes, but is not limited to, problem-solving (PDCA, A3 thinking, root cause analysis methodologies), visual management, huddle boards, conducting visits to the Gemba, 5S, leader standard work, and process mapping (swim lane mapping, metric-based process mapping, etc.).
● Supports Division and Office leadership (including OCI) in developing metrics at strategic and operational levels. Provide coaching and guidance in visual management to track metrics. Coach leaders through a formal problem-solving process (e.g., A3) when metrics do not meet targets.
● Mentors, coaches, and trains AMS Division Leads and other Lean Coaches on AMS/lean principles and tools.
● Other duties as assigned by agency leadership.
● Lean methods and tools (PDCA, formal problem solving (A3/A4, Countermeasure Worksheets), process mapping, visual management, kaizen, 5S, etc.)
● Process improvement and management frameworks
● Kaizen events or team-based problem-solving events
● Change management
● Coaching individual leaders and teams
● Facilitating Kaizen events and lead continuous improvement projects while balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders
● Coaching leaders and team members in the use of a lean management framework
● Developing visual systems to support process adherence and performance management
● Training content development (lean elements) and delivery for professionals
● Facilitating change management in teams and groups
● Coaching individuals and teams in lean tools and methodologies that result in tangible results
● Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
● Strong program and project management skills and excellent organizational skills
● Strong relationship building, program and project management, and organizational skills
● Open to learning new lean tools and methods
● Medium (or higher) level of proficiency in Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides), Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or Apple Suite (Pages, Numbers, Keynote)
● Proven ability to lead change
● Ability to thrive in a challenging work environment, consistently delivering quality service to agencies in order to serve citizens effectively and efficiently
● Ability to prioritize, communicate project risk to key leaders, and function under minimal supervision
● Promote team development and encourage collaboration across divisions in a government environment
● Personal adherence to leader standard work
● Ability to work remotely and in various in-person locations, including in the Phoenix and Tucson areas, as needed
● Ability to remain flexible and adapt to changing priorities in daily work
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
● Requires a Bachelor's Degree. Preferably in Business, Management, Public Administration, Engineering, or a related field. Experience - REQUIRED is 5+ years experience facilitating kaizen events, leading process mapping with metrics, and coaching lean principles and tools with a diverse level of clients (front line to mid-level leadership).
● Required advanced knowledge and experience completing problem-solving A3s. Coaching mid-level leaders through the process of problem-solving A3 completion.
● Preferred: Experience coaching and implementing lean principles and tools in an administrative/office environment.
Candidates for this position will be required to submit Tax Filing Records, Employment Verification Check, and Fingerprints that will be used to check criminal history records from the Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).
The State of Arizona provides a world class comprehensive benefits package including:
· Holidays – 10 paid per year. sick leave – 12 days per year. No accrual or carryover limits.
· A robust and affordable insurance plan that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability options.
· A top-ranked Arizona StateRetirement System (ASRS) with 100% employer-matched contributions (Enrollment eligibility will be effective after 27 weeks of employment).
· Up to $5,250 for tuition reimbursement available to seek further career advancement or certification in Continuing Professional Education.
· Work-life balance and additional options for life betterment such as the Infant at Work Program, Alternate Work Schedule, and Telework opportunity.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
A top-ranked Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) with 100% employer-matched contributions (Enrollment eligibility will be effective after 27 weeks of employment).
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-716-6950.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.