Would you like to be part of an amazing culture that helps Arizonans reach their full potential through temporary assistance? The Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES) is looking for individuals that are committed to service, community, and teamwork.
The Department of Economic Security, Division of Employment and Rehabilitation Services (DERS) performs an integral role in improving Arizona’s workforce by assisting individuals who are unemployed or underemployed, and those with barriers, to prepare for and obtain meaningful employment. DERS supports Arizona employers with recruitment assistance by connecting them to a skilled workforce.
We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to join our team as a Human Services Specialist 2 with the Child Care Administration (CCA). This position is responsible for implementing the policies and procedures of the Child Care Administration (CCA); conduct client interviews for intakes and reviews on assigned caseload; determine financial and programmatic eligibility for child care services through verification of information provided by the client and other DES programs; approve or deny applications following state and federal statutes in a timely manner; make collateral contact to employers as necessary to maintain current eligibility Information; coordinate and arrange services in conjunction with other department programs and contractors. Includes direct contact with contracted providers to authorize, change or stop childcare services.
• Complete a service needs assessment through interviews for intake or reviews based on assigned caseload; verify eligibility factors and determine eligibility for multiple CCA programs based on financial and non-financial factors and additional cross program involvement (i.e., TANF and DCS) within required time frames and in accordance with state and federal mandates.
• Use time management techniques to plan and prioritize service delivery on a complex diverse case load.
• Maintain case records per policy w/complete and accurate information/data.
• Maintain professional contact with clients, employers, other agencies to support, determine and/or update eligibility information.
• Coordinate services based on information/data from other agencies to ensure timely and accurate service.
• Operate multiple automated computer systems in order to authorize client services, input, update and retrieve confidential client information and to receive and send information to other Departments and contracted staff.
• Maintain professional contact with contracted providers to authorize, change or stop services.
• Assist both provider and client with resolution of nonpayment of co-payment issues.
• Research and prepare overpayment packets per policy for Quality Assurance Integrity Administration.
• Research and prepare referral for investigations in potential cases of fraud.
• Assist Office of Inspector General as requested.
• Research and prepare case history and represent the department at fair hearings resulting from client.
• Counsel clients about the availability of different types of childcare providers.
• Provide website and/or phone contact information to Child Care Resource & Referral or complete referral process to certification unit for relative provider selection.
• Travel will be required to assist other offices, attend meetings and trainings.
• Other duties as assigned as related to the position.
• Knowledge of Department policy, State statues, Federal law and rules pertaining to multiple Child Care eligibility programs; local demographics Including community programs and resources which may be of help to clients and providers such as First Things First, Department of Health Services.
• Knowledge of Department of Child Safety and other Department of Economic Security programs.
• Knowledge in GUIDE, AZCCATS, AZTECS, Google, Work Number, On-Base and FPUB systems.
• Skills in Mediating, prioritizing, planning, and organizing case management activities.
• Skills in conducting interviews in a time efficient manner while eliciting information needed.
• Listening skills, communication skills, written skills, and oral skills.
• Skills in diffusing hostile or angry customers.
• Ability to absorb, interpret and assimilate large quantities of technical written material.
• Skills in working with computers; operating telephones, vehicles, and other office equipment.
• Skills in time management.
• Case management experience, direct contact with client /public assistance, experience in interviewing techniques.
• Successfully complete the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify), applicable to all newly hired State employees.
• Successfully pass background and reference checks; employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions.
• The position will require a current, valid Arizona Driver’s License. Travel may be required for State business. Employees who drive on state business must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.) and have an acceptable driving record in accordance with DES Fleet Management-Safety Program policy and procedures (DES 1-07-26 & DES 1-07-26-01). Employees may be required to use their own transportation as well as maintaining valid motor vehicle insurance and current Arizona vehicle registration; however, mileage will be reimbursed.
• Candidates for this position shall be subject to a search of both the Child Protective Services Central Registry pursuant to A.R.S. 8-804 and the Adult Protective Services Registry pursuant to A.R.S. 46-459.
• Candidate shall have or meet the requirements to obtain prior to their first day of employment, a valid Level One Arizona fingerprint clearance card issued pursuant to Arizona Revised Statute 41-1758.07 in order to work with children and vulnerable adults.
We offer a competitive benefits package that is unmatched by the private sector and a culture that encourages team success and advocates for personal advancement.
-Affordable Health, Dental, Vision and Life and Disability Insurance
-10 holidays per year
-Paid Vacation and Sick time off - start earning it your 1st day
-Eligible to participate in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (must meet qualifications)
-Contribute to, and participate in the Arizona State Retirement System
-Ride Share and Public Transit Subsidy
-Career Advancement Opportunities
*Critical Services Premium Pay Stipend - This position may be eligible to receive a temporary stipend of 10% in addition to base pay beginning in December 2021. If eligible, the temporary stipend amount will be calculated using the employee's base rate of pay and will be reflected in each paycheck. It is anticipated that this temporary stipend will be available through June 24, 2022.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
State employees are required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS), the State sponsored retirement contribution plan and the Long-Term Disability (LTD) program after a 27-week waiting period. The ASRS defined benefit plan provides for life-long income upon retirement. You will also have the option to participate in a voluntary deferred compensation program to take advantage of tax-deferred retirement investments.
On, or shortly after, your first day of work, you will be provided with additional information about the available insurance plans, enrollment instructions, submission deadlines and effective dates.
For questions about this career opportunity, please call (480) 204-2707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting (480) 204-2707 or email email@example.com. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.