Division of Financial Operations
The Department of Economic Security is seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to join our team as Senior Insurance Analyst with the Office of Procurement.
The Senior Insurance Analyst performs professional level work associated with insurance, indemnification, and other contractual risk transfer issues. This individual ensures compliance with applicable Federal and State laws, rules, and regulations; provides consultation and technical advice with respect to insurance and self-insurance coverage, programs and requirements, and services; reviews, verifies, approves, and manages Certificates of Insurance (COI) submitted by contractors, public entities, and other parties working within the Department; and conducts contractual reviews and analysis. The role is considered a subject matter expert in both the insurance industry and its regulation.
• Knowledge of State and Federal insurance law, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and case law.
• Knowledge of local and national insurance industry, standards, concepts, and practices and procedures, such as underwriting and contract schema.
• Knowledge of risk management concepts and techniques.
• Knowledge of multiple lines of insurance, such as general loss, auto, and worker's compensation.
• Knowledge of insurance rating methodologies and actuarial rate-making techniques, statistical practices, and accounting and economics.
• Knowledge of computer operations and programs.
• Skill in analyzing, interpreting, and evaluating insurance contracts, complex financial and statistical data, and/or related written documents.
• Skill in evaluating risk exposure and identifying appropriate types and limits of insurance coverage to eliminate or minimize financial risk.
• Skill in negotiating and conflict resolution.
• Skill in managing workload to meet statutorily mandated deadlines.
• Skill in communicating verbally and in writing, including writing complex technical reports.
• Skill in using computer software programs common to the insurance industry and/or its regulation.
• Ability to apply insurance industry concepts and techniques.
• Ability to determine misleading, ambiguous, and/or deceptive contract verbiage.
• Ability to determine potential catastrophe hazards and other contingencies that may impact filings and contracts.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of people.
• Prefer a Bachelor’s degree in insurance, business, finance, accounting, or law-related discipline, and/or five (5) years of experience in a related field.
• Desirable certifications include Insurance Institute designations, such as CPCU, AINS, AIC, ARM, or AU.
• Successfully complete the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify), applicable to all newly hired State employees.
• Successfully pass background and reference checks; employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions.
• The position will require the possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records, and must complete any driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12). Individuals may be required to use their personal motor vehicle.
We offer a competitive benefits package that is unmatched by the private sector and a culture that encourages team success and advocates for personal advancement.
• Affordable Health, Dental, Vision, and Life and Disability Insurance
• 10 holidays per year
• Paid Vacation and Sick time off - start earning it your 1st day
• Eligible to participate in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (must meet qualifications)
• Contribute to, and participate in the Arizona State Retirement System
• RideShare and Public Transit Subsidy
• Career Advancement Opportunities
• Tuition reimbursement
• Opportunity to work remotely (home office) on an ad-hoc basis
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
State employees are required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS), the State sponsored retirement contribution plan and the Long-Term Disability (LTD) program after a 27-week waiting period. The ASRS defined benefit plan provides for life-long income upon retirement. You will also have the option to participate in a voluntary deferred compensation program to take advantage of tax-deferred retirement investments.
On, or shortly after, your first day of work you will be provided with additional information about the available insurance plans, enrollment instructions, submission deadlines and effective dates.
Apply through azstatejobs.azdoa.gov. For questions about this career opportunity, please call Rose Ibe at (928) 225-4382 or email RIbe@azdes.gov.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting (928) 225-4382. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.