Over 34 river miles of Oak Creek are listed as impaired under the Clean Water Act due to E.coli contamination. ADEQ has invested over $500,000 in watershed improvement projects to alleviate estimated sources of E.coli. Until now, there has not been a definitive analysis of contributing sources.
We are seeking a talented and engaged intern for our Water Quality Program. The intern will assist ADEQ's efforts in identifying and quantifying E.coli sources in Oak Creek by partnering with state universities to distinguish sources using DNA. The results of this project will allow ADEQ to target future watershed improvement projects to major E.coli contributors, thereby ultimately delisting Oak Creek as impaired. The intern will collect and analyze water quality samples, conduct project site visits, and provide support to projects and agency partners under the supervision of the Oak Creek watershed project manager/Senior Scientist. There are additional opportunities for other project support, including the rehabilitation of social trails off Highway 89A and a social media campaign with Leave No Trace and other partners.
Identify and quantify the sources and relative contribution of E. coli pollution in Oak Creek. Determine sources of E.coli pollution in Oak Creek (i.e. human, wildlife, septic). Propose actions and develop a plan to reduce E. coli loading to Oak Creek in response to these findings.
You will bring the following to the internship:
• Surface water quality sampling methods and procedures
• GIS; resource/watershed management experience
• Knowledge of the Clean Water Act, specifically sections 319 and 303
• Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) experience
• Stakeholder engagement and organization
• Experience with MS Office
• Project management skills
• Optional: watershed modeling
You will gain the following from this internship:
• Experience in stakeholder engagement and collaboration
• Experience in pollutant source identification and tracking using DNA markers
• Experience with water quality sampling, analysis, and interpretation; monitoring and evaluation of watershed Best Management Practices (BMPs)
• Experience in watershed improvement and management
• Intern candidates must be in their Junior or Senior year of a BS/BA or working towards a Masters/Ph.D. program
• Selective preference will be given to students pursuing a degree in sustainability or environmental science
• Candidate must have a GPA of 3.0 or better
• Candidate must have fieldwork experience
• Candidate must have the right to work in the US without requiring sponsorship
• Candidate must be at least 18 years old
Do you think you have the combination of environmental passion, technical and creative knowledge, skills, and abilities to help drive this agency to our vision? If so, apply today. To learn more about us, our organizational habits are known as the ADEQ Way, our culture, and other positions we have open, visit us at DEQ/careers
Compensation is at $16.50 per hour with no other benefits provided. It is up to the discretion of the respective school to provide academic credit. The start date for this internship will be determined once a selection is made.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.