We are seeking a talented and engaged intern for our Waste Program Division. The intern will be responsible for creating a corporate and industry sustainability toolkit. The toolkit will include best practices, helpful links and more to provide businesses with a comprehensive guide to becoming more sustainable. The final project from this research will be a written report with recommendations on implementing the program as well as best practices for successful communication to corporations and industry. The results of this project will be placed on ADEQ’s website.
Additional duties may include waste and bin placement audits, and research for an ADEQ compost program.
Compensation & Hours:
Compensation is $16.50 per hour, up to 20 hours per week, with no other benefits provided
It is up to the discretion of the respective school to provide academic credit.
The internship will begin in September 2022. Hours can be adjusted to accommodate class schedules.
You will bring the following to the internship:
• Strong verbal and communication skills
• Research skills
• Knowledge of corporate sustainability/various programs
• Ideas and passion for environmental work
You will gain the following from this internship:
• Knowledge of ADEQ’s culture and Arizona Management System
• How to manage a project from start to finish in a government setting
• Knowledge of sustainability networks and how to track metrics from the project
• Problem solving skills
• Intern candidate must be in their Junior or Senior year of a BS/BA or working towards a Masters/PhD program
• Selective preference will be given to students pursuing a degree in sustainability or environmental science
• Candidate must have a GPA of 3.0 or better
• Candidate must have the right to work in the US without requiring sponsorship
• Candidate must be at least 18 years old
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.