This position is the highest level in the Accountant series and will perform senior-level operational and cost accounting activities by applying established accounting principles, theories, concepts, and practices to a wide variety of difficult problems. Reviews and approves complex financial statements and reports for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), or other specific accounting requirements. Maintains an internal control structure through the review of reconciliations, financial data, procedures, and controls. This position will also assist the Budget Office with accounting projects and reconciliations. Resolves problems and questions presented by management regarding accounting transactions, policies, and procedures. May perform in a lead capacity in training lower-level accountants.
• Team Lead for the Coronavirus Public Health Emergency Reporting & Reconciliation team
• Performing complex reconciliations and ensuring accurate reporting to various federal and state partners
• Auditing transactions that post to funds to ensure they are allowable and allocated appropriately per State and Federal regulations and guidance
• Project Lead on various Controllers Office and Budget team projects
• Internal Control administrator for all financial components of the agency
• Evaluating risk, role conflicts, auditing processes & workflows, communicating policy updates, and holding training
• Handling critical and complex Fiscal Year-End deliverables such as coordinating the Annual Closing Packages and coordinating any new funding models and Chart of Account design for new legislation
• AFIS Report Developer and utilize data visualization tools, develop and maintain dashboards
• Creating process automation and implementing other AMS initiatives
• Coordinating the monthly financial reviews required per SAAM
• Back-up and assist the various areas within the General Accounting team and the Controller's Office
• Liaison between the department and GAO
• Other duties as assigned
• Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices; the analysis and reporting of financial data
• Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) standards
• Comprehensive knowledge of the principles, concepts, practices, methods, techniques of government accounting, internal control structures, and fiscal management
• Considerable knowledge of the methods and techniques of automated financial/accounting systems, including the use of applicable software
• Comprehensive knowledge of reference materials such as federal regulations, Arizona Revised Statutes, applicable agency manuals, and policies and procedures
• Working knowledge of financial research methodologies
• Understanding of Performance Management (PM), Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI), and Lean methodologies
• Considerable skill in analysis, interpretation, and communication of financial data
• Substantial skill in work organization and accomplishment
• Considerable skill in techniques required to maintain accounting records through automated accounting systems, including PC and mainframe computer skills
• Understanding of internal control structures and fiscal management
• Supports a diverse multi-cultural workforce that reflects the community, promotes equal opportunity at all levels of public employment, and creates an inclusive work environment that enables all individuals to perform to their fullest potential free from discrimination
The ideal candidate will have:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required; Two years experience as an Accountant 2, 3, or equivalent. CPA License preferred.
Driving is required for State Business.
− Employees who drive on state business require possession of and the ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any driver training (See Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.11).
The State of Arizona provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package including:
− Affordable medical and dental insurance plans
− Paid vacation and sick time
− 10 paid holidays per year
− Wellness program and plans
− Life insurance
− Short/long-term disability insurance
− Defined retirement plan
− Award-winning Infant at Work program
− Credit union membership
− Transit subsidy
− ADHS Student Assistance Pilot Program
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
To help you build a financially secure future, the State makes monthly contributions to finance your retirement benefit. The State will make a contribution to the ASRS in an amount equal to your contribution. In other words, you and the State will each pay 50% of the total cost of the benefit. New State employees have a 27 week wait period for contributions to begin.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 542-1085. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. DHS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.