Under the general direction of the Psychiatric Nurse Unit Manager, the Medical Assistant will be responsible for performing general medical assistant functions in support of the care and treatment of patients while providing assistance to all office personnel as needed. The position would involve assisting in examination of patients under the direction of physician, taking vital signs (such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height), preparing treatment rooms for examination of patients, cleaning/sterilizing instruments, and orders medical supplies/inventory as needed. The Medical Assistant will also operate electrocardiographic (EKG) and other equipment to administer routine diagnostic tests, performs phlebotomy, routine laboratory testing, process specimens for courier transport, and complete clerical tasks including but not limited to- filing, scanning, scheduling, data input, answering phones, and general support to all office personnel. This position will adhere to company policies and procedures and prioritize/complete day-to-day activities, maintain office equipment, office, and medical supplies through efficient inventory management
• Operates electrocardiographic (EKG) and other equipment to administer routine diagnostic tests. Performs phlebotomy, routine laboratory testing and process specimens for courier transport.
• Assists in examination of patients under the direction of physician. Takes vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height. Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients.
• Complete clerical tasks including but not limited to filing, scanning, scheduling, data input, answering phones, and general support to all office personnel. Maintain office equipment, office, and medical supplies through efficient inventory management.
• Cleans and sterilizes instruments. Inventories and orders medical supplies as needed.
• Other duties as assigned as related to the position
• Back and front office support
• Clerical tasks
• Performance Management (PM), and Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) and Lean methodologies.
• Customer service and communication for interfacing with patients, staff, and outside vendors.
• Specimen processing for transport
• Basic computer
• Preparing examination rooms
• Assist in examination of patients
• Support a pleasant, positive, and cooperative teamwork environment.
• Support a diverse multi-cultural workforce that reflects the community, promotes equal opportunity at all levels of public employment, and creates an inclusive work environment that enables all individuals to perform to their fullest potential free from discrimination.
The ideal candidate will have:
• 1-2 years of Front/Back office experience in a healthcare setting
This Position Must Have:
• Current certification as a Medical Assistant or a diploma or certificate of completion of a Medical Assistant course of training from an accredited training organization.
• A State hospital employee must possess a valid level one fingerprint clearance card issued pursuant to A.RS. 41-1758.07 or must apply for a level one clearance fingerprint clearance card within seven working days after beginning employment.
The State of Arizona provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package including:
− Affordable medical and dental insurance plans
− Paid vacation and sick time
− 10 paid holidays per year
− Wellness program and plans
− Life insurance
− Short/long-term disability insurance
− Defined retirement plan
− Award winning Infant at Work program
− Credit union membership
− Transit subsidy
− ADHS Student Assistance Pilot Program
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
To help you build a financially secure future, the State makes monthly contributions to finance your retirement benefit. The State will make a contribution to the ASRS in an amount equal to your contribution. In other words, you and the State will each pay 50% of the total cost of the benefit. New State employees have a 27 week wait period for contributions to begin.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 542-1085. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. DHS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.