The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accounting Specialist in our Payroll unit. The position is responsible for supporting the Payroll Unit with processing payroll, as well as auditing reports for compliance with State and Federal regulations. This position uses the State payroll/personnel system, Human Resources Information Solutions (HRIS), for data entry.
• This position is responsible for processing and auditing payroll records for compliance with State and Federal regulations. This position uses the State payroll/personnel system, Human Resources Information Solution (HRIS) and employee Time Entry (ETE) for data entry, ADOA AFIS for reporting capabilities, and auditing of employees accounts; in addition to providing internal and external customer service.
• Maintain accurate and complete payroll records for over 1110 employees while ensuring the security of confidential payroll records. Ensures funds are deposited into the appropriate employee bank accounts. Timely and accurately pays wages and processes expenditures transactions.
• Prepare a biweekly payroll audit using an Excel File with lookup reference formulas to identify errors regarding the employees’ gross pay, retroactive adjustments, stipends, travel and any incentive payments in the short time window between the computation deadline and the actual pay date.
• Ensure departmental procedures comply with Federal and State regulations, and Arizona Department of Administration (ADOA) Personnel Rules and Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) policies and procedures. Maintain payroll processes and procedures, e.i., electronic timesheet adjustment process and electronic leave request forms.
• Catalog and track Personnel Action Forms (PAF) from HRD to ensure accurate and complete processing of the information in the HRIS system. Maintains the quality and integrity of the HRIS system and the Payroll Unit work flow including payroll processing and reporting of transactions.
• Responds to the agency Payroll Helpline to provide high quality customer service to AHCCCS employees. Conducts research for employees’ concerns, issues and problems to provide resolution.
• Working knowledge and experience with Excel and Word.
• Working knowledge of an automated accounting system.
• Perform multiple tasks, under pressure and meet established timelines.
• Provide quality customer service.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills.
• The ability to analyze and research problems independently, determines the nature of the problems and provide resolutions.
• Knowledge of the rules and regulations pertaining to employee related payables.
• Ability to examine and verify timesheets for accuracy and completeness.
• Knowledge of the rules, regulations and procedures governing the payroll processing (State personnel rules, FMLA & FLSA regulations).
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a customer service related payroll or human resources work environment where direct interaction was required with customers both in person and over the telephone.
• Knowledge of Human Resources Information Solution (HRIS) is a plus.
• Knowledge of the various rules and regulations that govern payroll processing can be obtained by studying the sections of ADOA Personnel Rules, AHCCCS Policies and Procedures, Code of Federal Regulations, State Arizona Accounting Manual, Fair Labor Standards Act, and the Family Medical Leave Act that specifically apply to payroll processing is a plus.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.