The Portfolio Analyst supports Treasury Portfolio Managers by evaluating potential new credit programs for investment as well as monitoring existing investments. The position allows the office to generate larger returns while maintaining requirements for safety and liquidity, all while reducing risk. The position provides the State of Arizona with additional protection against catastrophic credit events and improve risk adjusted returns.
The Portfolio Analyst will:
• Read, analyze, and interpret financial statements and complex financial data to recommend new credits and present findings to the Investment Risk Management Committee for possible addition to the approved credit list.
• Analyze and recommend mortgage bonds issued by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and Farmer Mac. Review and monitor financial conditions of individual companies and credit programs.
• Interact with third-party providers for additional inputs into the research process.
• As a voting member of the Investment Risk Management Committee, this position will help develop the strategies for investing the portfolio for the best beneficiary advantage.
• An understanding of the stock and bond market with experience and emphasis on pricing of collateral.
• An understanding of how bonds trade and how they are structured and pay.
• An education and experience in analyzing corporate fundamentals and strengths.
• An understanding of accounting functions and procedures pertaining to general & investment accounting and financial data management.
• Experience in Bloomberg Professional Analytics.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to create and give presentations to small and large audiences.
• Ability to create and maintain effective professional relationships.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in finance, economics, accounting or a related field. CPA, CFA or CFA candidate preferred.
Candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
The Arizona Department of Administration offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
Health and dental insurance
Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
State of Arizona employees are required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
If you have any questions please feel free to contact Treasury HR at 602-542-7875
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.