• Manage IT projects: project flow, scope, budget, user communication, priorities within a project plan, milestones, deliverables.
• Adhere to project management standards for software development life cycle methodology (SDLC).
• Manage IT teams' determining feasibility of projects; initiate and coordinate sizing of projects.
• Communicate and assist in managing problems/incidents/risks/issues related to projects.
• Communicate project status to internal agency project stakeholders, IT senior management, IT management, IT peers, and project business unit contacts.
• Facilitate role as product owner in partnership with business and establish product life cycle.
• Local, in-state, and out-of-state travel may be required for this position.
• Accountable and responsible for managing the complete life cycle of IT Business software applications projects from original concept to final implementation for multiple medium to large-sized projects
• Manage projects based on repeatable standards and practices where possible, but also may require defining new approaches
• Develops detailed project execution plans and manages all phases of the project including project resource allocation, scheduling, financials/budgets, progress status tracking, KPl's/value focused metrics, multi-level reporting, testing, release to production, and post production support and maintenance
• Facilitates the definition of project missions, goals, tasks, and resource requirements
• Works cross-functionally to solve problems
• Resolves or assists in the resolution of conflicts within and between projects/functional areas/teams
• Monitors project or area progress and escalates as appropriate
• Proactively and routinely identifies, mitigates, and reports project risks and issues
• Determines overall health of the project using best practices and methodologies
• Partners with key stakeholders and program area personnel to build project plans, identify key milestones and priorities for project completion, effectively communicates objectives, risks, and project progress
• Spearheads meetings, presentations, and project scrum ceremonies
• Demonstrates leadership in managing diverse teams within several project areas
• Prepares project Memorandum of Agreement (MOAs) with Arizona Department of Education (ADE) Units and Project Investment Justification (PIJ) documents as well as the corresponding status reports and change control documents
• Provides project material/information and report on projects at the Information Technology (IT) portfolio management
• Other duties as assigned as related to the position
Please note: For those selected for interviews, skills assessments may be administered as part of the interview process.
• Working knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of IT project management
• Five plus years proficiency in managing medium to large IT projects developing software applications
• Proficiency in Agile Methodology
• Proficiency with Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK)
• Define and manage IT software development project budgets and resource allocation
• Working knowledge of RFIs, RFPs, Change Management controls
• A Bachelor's degree plus 5 or more years experience as an IT project manager is required (or equivalent working experience)
• Facilitate the definition of project missions, goals, tasks, and resource requirements
• Manage project budget and resource allocation
• Outstanding stakeholder and product owner customer service skills
• Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
• Identify opportunities for use of solutions to improve efficiency and reduce waste
• Communicate activities and results as appropriate
• Prioritize and plan work activities
• Manage multiple small to medium-sized projects
• Lead planning and/or implementation of projects
• Manage projects based on repeatable standards and practices
• Work collaboratively and build strong relationships inside and outside the organization
• Resolve or assist in the resolution of conflicts within and between projects or functional areas
• Set goals and objectives
• Use time efficiently
• Lead team(s) to design software development solutions
• Balance, prioritize, and organize multiple tasks
• Synthesize feedback and adjust plans accordingly to meet business expectations
Preference will be given to those applicants with:
• Project Management Professional (PMP)
• Arizona State Project Management Certification
• Position requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.).
• Offers are contingent upon successful completion of all background and reference checks, required documents and, if applicable, a post-offer medical/physical evaluation.
ADE’s comprehensive benefits package includes:
• Affordable medical, dental, life, and short-term disability insurance plans
• Tuition reimbursement program available for education/professional development advancement
• Hybrid schedule (combination of telework and in-office) may be available for some job roles
• Top ranked retirement and long-term disability plans
• Deferred compensation plan
• Accrued sick leave and vacation leave
• Ten paid holidays per year
• Wellness plans
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
You will be required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) upon your 27th week of employment, subject to waiting period. On or shortly after, your first day of employment you will be provided with enrollment instructions and effective date.
The Arizona Department of Education is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. During all phases of the selection process, people with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation, such as a sign language interpreter, by contacting the ADE Human Resources office at (602) 542-3186 or via e-mail at HumanResourcesGroup@azed.gov.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.