The Utilities Division recommends thoroughly researched, sound regulatory policy and rate recommendations to the Commissioners, based on a balanced analysis of the benefits and impacts on all stakeholders and consistent with the public interest. We are looking for a Public Utilities Manager for the Finance and Regulatory Analysis Section.
- Lead a team of professionals responsible for performing independent research on technical and regulatory policy issues, conducting regulatory audits, and analyzing detailed financial data to make recommendations to the Commission for the establishment of just and reasonable rates to be used in billing customers for utility services.
- Assist direct reports as they summarize their findings in writing, and to present testimony at hearings, Open Meetings, and other public forums.
- Prepare and present your findings in writing, at hearings, in Open Meetings and other public forums for all cases to which you and/or your team are assigned.
- Teach and mentor FRA team members and other Commission staff on broad ratemaking issues, through day-to-day supervision including work assignments, training and coaching, and performance management.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in accounting, finance, statistics, economics, or a related field.
- Effective mentoring, supervisory and management skills to delegate and direct work, and manage the performance of subordinates.
- Effective time management skills including prioritizing and completing projects within established deadlines.
- Extensive knowledge of public utility regulation and ratemaking with prior regulatory analysis experience.
- Significant knowledge and experience in accounting and/or auditing.
- Understanding of group dynamics and group facilitation skills.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Effective and clear presentation skills for a variety of audiences.
- Strong writing skills to prepare reports, memos, orders and letters.
- Ability to analyze economic and financial data independently using various statistical methods.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (primarily Word and Excel).
- Ability to effectively and clearly present written and oral testimony in formal proceedings.
- Ability to apply analytical methods to complex financial data and draw logical conclusions.
Prefer candidates with prior personnel supervision/management experience.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background/reference check and confirmation of any degrees/certifications.
A.R.S. Section 40-101 prohibits Commission employees from having certain interests in entities that the Commission regulates. Applicants shall be required to disclose any interests they may have in the regulated entities during the application process, and as a condition of employment, to divest themselves of any prohibited interests.
- Excellent comprehensive benefits, including a top-ranked retirement plan, low-cost health coverage, supplemental policies such as vision and short-term disability, and generous paid vacation and sick leave programs
- Career and personal development support; multiple training and education opportunities and resources; qualifying Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer
- Interesting, challenging work in a public sector environment with the chance to make a real difference in our state
- We are an Equal Employment Opportunity agency and a recognized Arizona Veteran Supportive Employer.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
This position participates in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
If you have any questions, please feel free to email HumanResources@azcc.gov for assistance.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.