The Arizona State Land Department manages more than 10,000 leases, permits, rights of ways, sales and other contracts relating to the management use and disposition of 9.2 million acres of State Trust lands. State Trust lands are lands granted to the State of Arizona pursuant to the federal Enabling Act. The Trust lands are held in Trust for the common public schools and 13 other public institutions. Any use or disposition of Trust lands must benefit the Trust's beneficiaries.
Under the guidance of the Real Estate Commercial Leasing & Sales Section Manager, the RE Project Leader 2 will coordinate the processing of high priority, multi-discipline land disposition projects. The projects are highly visible and have very high (multi-million dollar) revenue generation potential for the Trust.
• Manages a portfolio of complex files, manages and assists in negotiating sales contracts, commercial leases and/or rights of way contracts of medium to high complexity. Makes recommendations to supervisor relative to management and disposition alternatives and specific elements of each file;
• Manages interdisciplinary projects of medium to high complexity. Serves as team member or as a project manager (team leader) on multi-disciplinary teams consisting of staff professionals, including planners, engineers, surveyors, attorneys, title examiners, natural resource managers and appraisers;
• Prepares effective and accurate appraisal requests in a timely and efficient manner.
• Assists in the evaluation, drafting and implementation of new rules, procedures, policies, reports and documents;
• Conducts formal and informal meetings;
• Provides technical guidance to staff.
• Performs public relations activities; evaluates and resolves sensitive files and issues;
• Briefs the Commissioner on projects, as necessary;
• Assists in providing formal and informal training to professional staff;
• Interfaces and coordinates with outside consultants, appraisers, city and county staff; coordinates the efforts of internal multi-disciplinary teams consisting of staff professionals, including planners, engineers, attorneys, natural resource managers and appraisers;
• Provides technical guidance to staff;
• Determines plan or project objectives and goals;
• Assists in the development and implementation of rules policies and procedures.
• Applies the principles, theories, and concepts of the Arizona Management System; actively participating in daily group huddles and huddle board updates; continually identifying areas for process and quality improvement; adhering to established standard work and procedures;
• All other relevant duties as assigned.
Project management and coordination; financial analysis and discounted cash flow; principles and practices of commercial real estate sales, leasing, and right-of-way analysis and disposition; real estate values and uses; principles and practices of land use planning and management, and associated laws, rules and regulations; construction evaluation and execution of leases, easements and sales contracts.
Organization skills in coordinating activities and efforts of multi-disciplinary teams; effective oral and written communication; judgment in locating and selecting most appropriate guidelines for numerous and variable circumstances;
Ability to make independent decisions and judgments relative to all transactions; negotiation skills sufficient to obtain support, cooperation and action from involved parties. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various levels of government and business officials and the public. Ability to establish program objectives, goals and assess progress toward their achievement.
• A Bachelor's degree in finance, real estate, business administration, urban planning, management, or related field.
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in commercial real estate, land sales, rights-of-way transactions, or real estate management.
● Prior or after interviewing, candidates may be subject to a pre-employment skills assessment.
● Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete required driver training. (refer to Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.)
● Sick leave
● Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
● Health and dental insurance
● Retirement plan
● Life insurance and long-term disability insurance.
● Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
● Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
● Participation is a mandatory condition of employment for all employees who meet the eligibility and membership criteria as defined in statute.
● Enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment
● The current contribution rate is 12.17%
If you have trouble applying for this position, please email HRIShelpdesk@azdoa.gov for assistance.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting ASLD Human Resources at 602-542-2629. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (AMS)
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results.
State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service.
The State of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.